280 Ackley or something more common?

l know of an almost new 700 BDL VARMINT stock with skip line checkering AND a cherry 700 Varmint barrel in 6mm Remington. They are looking to meet a lonely 700 short action. Twill be the perfect trilogy, a match from HEAVEN, and absolute ''DEATH RAY'' on deer. The perfect hand will then be needed to WED them

Hey all,

I'm looking for some info on the price of factory loads for the 280AI. I've been eyeing the 280AI for a few weeks now. Seems to be a 1 size fits all for my needs: hunting a few times a year and shooting at the local gun club out to about 800ish yards (if my skill improves). Seems it's not very popular in my area with some factory loads still in stock (or maybe everyone reloads) but the prices are sky high right now obviously. Are they typically much lower than the current $45-$60 per box? I've found similar prices online as well so not sure if that's inflation across the board or normal? Am I better off waiting until I'm ready to dive into reloading myself for this specific cartridge?

I have a 15 yr old, beat up (wasn't taken care of in my teenage years) browning AB2 .308 Win that I like for just shooting for fun. It still shoots but I'm pretty sure the stock has a crack in it, some mild pitting from rust and would overall like something a little more rugged/durable.
Nosler has factory 280AI ammo maybe Hornady Precision. Fire forming standard 280 cases isn't difficult. 280AI held my interest for years, however, after spending 5 years in ballistics lab at Barnes Bullets, and just over a year in Nosler lab, the 338-06 trumped my interest. No fire forming, simply neck 06 brass to 338, load 185gr 338 at 2900-3000fps from 24" bbl. 300 Win Mag velocity with 5 percent heavier, and 10 percent larger diameter bullet with much less powder! Great performance gains with minimal investment to upgrade rifle, don't overlook 338-06. I'll get off the soap box now. Sorry

Nosler has factory 280AI ammo maybe Hornady Precision. Fire forming standard 280 cases isn't difficult. 280AI held my interest for years, however, after spending 5 years in ballistics lab at Barnes Bullets, and just over a year in Nosler lab, the 338-06 trumped my interest. No fire forming, simply neck 06 brass to 338, load 185gr 338 at 2900-3000fps from 24" bbl. 300 Win Mag velocity with 5 percent heavier, and 10 percent larger diameter bullet with much less powder! Great performance gains with minimal investment to upgrade rifle, don't overlook 338-06. I'll get off the soap box now. Sorry
I agree. I have a custom one built off a sako av action I'm looking to part with. If any one is interest pm me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.