.280 Ackley load road map

Steve, Thanks for asking and the encouragement!

I am having a great time so far with reloads and shooting. Certainly still in the very very early stages and getting what components I can off the shelf. Bullet shape, lead cooper or alloy then weight, play more of a role than just grains of weight from what I can see. I have some 140 gr bergers and a 139 gmx that the difference is amazing. Put the 150 lrab right in the middle of those two and it LOOKS perfectly made for the .280 AI... as far as the full neck of the case gripping the bullet right where the boattail begins. Which allows for a nice full dose of powder. I hope to start narrowing the lot but did get another pound of a different powder and some magnum primers.

I am not ready yet but will certainly entertain trying the hammer line and who better to ask then the owner! I think that is more than awesome!

Joe

Take a look at bullets.com Redding dies close out great prices you may want to try reloader 23 the cooper mag want let you load long enough for the vld's but the one I had shot the classic hunter Berger 168's into one hole with 58 grain of reloader 23

I'm +1 with WSG. I'm running 59.5 gr. of RL23 Fed. 215's and the 168 BCH. Very accurate load. . .bad news for critters though!

Take a look at bullets.com Redding dies close out great prices you may want to try reloader 23 the cooper mag want let you load long enough for the vld's but the one I had shot the classic hunter Berger 168's into one hole with 58 grain of reloader 23

Same charge weight here too.
Nosler brass
Fed GM210M
58.0 RL23
175 Berger Elite
2975fps

200 yards

This 6 round group is same loads. Shot 3, then 2 hours later, shot 3 more @ 200.

Here is a 6 round group at 200. 160 TMK over 61.2gr H1000 @ 2910fps. My "light" load.

Shot 3 rounds, then 2 hours later, put 3 more on top of them.

R700 LA BDL trued by AxisWorks
Alloy BDL metal
Spiral fluted bolt w. Alloy bolt shroud and CF knob
26" 1:9" Proof Sendero Light
Manners EH1
Shilen Match trigger @ 1.5#
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins alloy 30mm "Medium High" rings
March F 3-24×52mm FML-1

8lbs 13oz all in.

Remington Model Seven with 20" barrel:
160 grain Accubond
RL26 powder
Remington 9.5M primers
2960 fps

140 grain Partition
IMR4350
Remington 9.5M
3100 fps

Not any takers on original question? I have been doing it from all angles and have some good choices for hunting accuracy. How to get to the holy grail like some of those sweet groups posted by the most direct route?? I rather be lucky and good at the same time...

Pick the bullet you want to start, then select powder. RL23 has been fantastic with accuracy and great speed, 140 3220 fps and 162 3080 fps. I would start out as far as mag box will allow, then adjust for fine tuning.

That's exactly what I was looking for at the onset! And my thoughts too. I did hedge my bets with multiple bullets...now have a run of 150 ttsx to try working up powder charges. I have a cross check load that showed a little better accuracy but still in the mild range so need a quiet day to get the results. Should really rock as a hunting load. The 150 ABLR were right there too and would be a cross canyon beast I'm guessing. What a blast but nothing magical yet. Rl 26 slightly better than 4831sc and seems smoother if such a thing can be said!?!

I could not get rid of a bit of flyer with 26, speed was on par with 23 but 23 was more accurate with both 140's and the 162's both in 24" tubes

I stick with H4831sc as wanted temp stable powder the guy who built my rifle was running 168 VLds to 3030 with good accuracy with 62 gr H1000. Same for 162 elds

Anyone have any experience with a 7-300 win. What's involved in necking down? Can you just change the bushing in a 300 neck die?

I am guessing that your are running 3165fps not 2165fps. :D

We are running rl-16 in our 27" barrel with 143g Hammer Hunters at 3213 fps. This is also an 8" twist. We also took this rifle to Africa a couple of weeks ago, running our 150g Sledge Hammer with H4831ssc at a mild vel just over 3000fps. This combo took wildebeest, blesbuck, 2 impala, waterbuck, warthog, and a jackal. All one shot except the warthog. 1st shot too far back, 2nd shot drt. 28 cal is considered marginal for African plains game. All of these animals were drt other than the wildebeest that went under 50y after a pure lung shot, the blesbuck went 10' (pretty much drt) and of coarse the pig. One impala was a drt liver shot. I was most impressed by this as it would normally result in a long track.

The 10" twist will fully stabilize the 131g Hammer Hunter or any of the Sledge Hammers up to the 150g.

Congrats on the new rifle! Have fun with it, the 280ai is a great cartridge.

Steve
Good thread .

I can get Ar2213SC (H4831) but I must find a source of Hammers in Australia.

I've only hunted Africa once and hired a 7mmRm from the PH. 10 one shot kills, granted some rand a short way but all easily recovered.

The Blue Wildebeest Bull took a short run out of sight but was dead 50 from where it was hit. Shot placement might be the key , we try headshot in Australia if opportunity presents and an adequate rest is available.

Some conversations on the Africa hunting forums raised the .280ai that seems to be a winner, I had one built, sighted it in and havent hunted with it but I will.

My experience with Nosler BT in my 7mm-08 lead me to think I can use them in the .280ai.

Good thread .

I can get Ar2213SC (H4831) but I must find a source of Hammers in Australia.

I've only hunted Africa once and hired a 7mmRm from the PH. 10 one shot kills, granted some rand a short way but all easily recovered.

The Blue Wildebeest Bull took a short run out of sight but was dead 50 from where it was hit. Shot placement might be the key , we try headshot in Australia if opportunity presents and an adequate rest is available.

Some conversations on the Africa hunting forums raised the .280ai that seems to be a winner, I had one built, sighted it in and havent hunted with it but I will.

My experience with Nosler BT in my 7mm-08 lead me to think I can use them in the .280ai.
You can order directly from our website.

Recent Posts