.280 Ackley Improved

openlake

I'm thinking of having a rifle built. It will not be a heavy bench rest style rifle, but a much more coventional rifle for stalking/hunting of whitetails. Weight is a consideration, and so is recoil in a light rifle. I'm thinking non-magnum cartridges, and it seems as though the .280 Ackley Improved is a pretty fair non-magnum 7mm. Does anyone out there have any experience with this cartridge?
confused.gif

Hello-
I own one and shoot it regularly to 1200 yards. Mine is built on a Remington 721 action and sports a 24 inch Krieger barrel. I wanted a longer barrel but that's a different story. I would strongly rerommend a 26 or 27 inch barrel. Mine weighs around 11 pounds and could be shot off hand. Get a 9 twist as it will stabilize the 160 grain, high BC bullets. I have not loaded mine to the max to see what it can do, but shoot the 162 A-Max at 2,820 fps, it's a mild load but devestatingly accurate. My buddies and I have made 9, one shot kills (woodchucks) with it this summer between 401 and 546 yards. It does quite well at 1K target shooting too. I think this caliber would suit you well for the type of hunting you want to do. Just get a scope with repeatable clicks and you should be able to take deer out to 1,000 yards with it. The recoil is also fairly tame, making it a pleasure to shoot.

Have a look in the new Nosler manual #5. There is lots of excellent data and you will see that performance is about the same as the 7mm short magnums. Good stuff.

Build it with a good barrel with a normal hunting contour 9about 24" long) and you will have an excellent rig for what you want.

Stick with accurate bullets like the Nosler BT or Hornady SST in the 120 to 150gr range and you will be well armed for your whitetails.

Build the gun, work up a good load and start practising.

Good luck...

Jerry

I have one very similar to the one Prime time described. Mine has a 26" Douglas #5 taper barrel in a Fajen laminated sporter stock. It is built on a M700 action and wears a Leupold 4.5-14x50 LR in DD rings and bases. It is great with Reloader 22 and 162 gr AMAX's as well. It thik you will be well pleased with this caliber. Norma makes .280 Rem brass, so that is also a plus. Good luck with your project.

I have a 7mm gibbs and a 7mm jrs which are just blowing the case out a bit more than the 280 imp. Both will virtually duplicate the 7mm remington with less powder. I agree with the others that your choice for your purpose is as good as any. If you want all you can get out of the 280 case the 7mm jrs is the ultimate that I have found when all factors are considered.

I used my Rem. M700 .280 on my first elk hunt about 10 years ago using Remington 165gr. extended range ammo. My shot was only about 100 yds on a bull and he crashed within 100 yds. No problem. My .280 has since been converted to .280 Ack. Imp. and with a little more velocity and better bullet selection today I can't complain. I also have a .280 Weatherby Accumark...nice rifle.

Would you hunt elk with the 140 gr. bullet? What range do you think the 280 imp. would be effective?
mike

I would probably go with a heavier bullet. 160-175 gr. I know Nosler makes the 140 gr. Accubond which is probably great for deer. I'm going to be loading up some 168gr. Berger VLD's to try out.

I have a M700 blue printed action, Hart #5 fluted 24", Tubb recoil lug, pillar bedded in a LSS stock.
Total weight with a Mark 4 4.5-14 scope is 9.0 lbs. Accuracy with the 140 gr and 160 gr AB is amazing.
280AI.jpg

The 160 gr AB is my go to bullet and it works very well on WT deer.
JD6pt1115071.jpg

JD338

If it is not too much trouble could you take a close up pic of your barrel. I want to see the diameter if possible. I have a few hart's my self but it has been 10 years since i built something and i think i told them a douglass contour.
mike

Mike

Bullet selection and human competition are what makes me decide on a caliber for elk. I have taken 6 elk with a 6MM and a hundred grain bullet to 300 yards. I have taken a bunch more with the 7 X08 and a 140 grain bullet to 300 yards. No other hunters were competing with me and the only animal that did not drop immediately was a ragg horned bull shot at 50 yards going down hill on the run. He traveled fifty yards and piled up. Think the 280 AI pretty much answers the same call as the 7MM Rem Mag factory round without the recoil. 160 grain Accubond is sound advise in my opinion.

Neal

Mike

Bullet selection and human competition are what makes me decide on a caliber for elk. I have taken 6 elk with a 6MM and a hundred grain bullet to 300 yards. I have taken a bunch more with the 7 X08 and a 140 grain bullet to 300 yards. No other hunters were competing with me and the only animal that did not drop immediately was a ragg horned bull shot at 50 yards going down hill on the run. He traveled fifty yards and piled up. Think the 280 AI pretty much answers the same call as the 7MM Rem Mag factory round without the recoil. 160 grain Accubond is sound advise in my opinion.

Neal
Thanks Neal, Im not a magnum fan and that is pretty much what i wanted to hear. It might be 2-3 years before i can make a western trip so why do i want to put the money in to a 338, etc. and not use it back home here in md. for white tail deer hunting. I have a friend that is very good long range shooter has been going to Col. since 1978 and he uses a 6x284 and has killed elk and mule deer 600 yards plus.
mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.