280 Ackley Improved

I've heard wonderful things about the 280AI over the years and decided to build one. I've had a terrible time trying to work up an accurate load. I can get a group at 0.740 @ 200 yards and then the same load will open up to approximately 4 inches or greater on the next group with the same load. Very inconsistent groupings.

Remington 700 Action
Schneider Barrel 1/10
Nosler Brass
I've run H4831SC, H1000 and RL23 with 168 VLD's. Mixed results. All will produce a decent grouping on one or two groups at best and then open up. Very inconsistent.

I thought this round would fill a void between the 270 and 300 Win Mag but spent more time on it than both calibers listed above.

Anyone else run into inconsistencies with the 280AI?

Buttermilk, Thank you for that info. I was beginning to question the twist rate. So maybe I should run 160's?

My son and I both have 280AI's with 1/10 twist barrels and have shot the Berger 168 VLD's hunting bullet for years. After Berger updated their twist recommendations they lowered the VLD hunting bullet to a 1/9 twist recommendation from what had always been a 1/10 twist minimum recommendation. Bergers 168 Classic Hunter was listed at 1/10 twist when they finally hit the market - I tried them and had very noticeable improvement in consistency. The little I gave up in BC was well worth the improved consistency in accuracy.

I live at 3600 ft. Elevation, hunt up to 9000 ft and ran my 168's at 2840 fps. My son lives at a higher elevation than I and pushed his just over 3000 fps and has never had a problem with consistency with the VLD hunting bullet and he has no need/desire to switch to anything else - same gunsmith, same reamer on both rifles. I just think he stabilized his better with more velocity and higher elevation.

We both use Nosler brass, I use 210M primers, son uses 215M primers. Both rifles are starting to get close to their barrels life span and they'll get 1/9 twist barrels when it is time.

Cowboy, thanks for your reply.

I've been running Nosler Brass, Fed 210M and velocity is anywhere from 2700 - 2900 depending on powder and charge of course. I live at 1200 ft elevation and 2900 is max velocity as I have pretty bad pressure problems.

So; if I understand your post correctly; your son is shooting the 168 VLD's and you are shooting the 168 classic hunters? Is that correct? I was going to pick some up tomorrow and give them a run to see how they group.

Have you heard anything about the Nosler Accubond Long Range 168's?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts