280 Ackley Improved loads and advice?

BeaverHunter

Just bought a used 280 ackley improved from a member on here. I'm very excited to get it and start shooting. Tikka t3 with a 26 inch rock creek 1-7 twist barrel. What would you guys recommend for a bullet-powder combination? I'd like to shoot a bullet in the 150-175 grain range. What should I expect for velocity? Probably be using Nosler brass. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm shooting a 143 hammer hunter in my 280AI with 4831sc and getting 3120 fps with a 24" barrel. That load did good work on 2 elk last fall, one at 70 yards the other at 330 yards. I've been told RL 16 should get 3200 fps with that bullet. It's a great round and that will be a sweet rifle.

1:7" twist? That is really fast for a .284 bore. Make sure of that. Most are 1:9", or possibly 1:8" for the fast twists.

My .280AI is a 1:9" and pushing a 175 Berger Elite Hunter @ 2975fps over RL23.

I've had great luck with both RL22 and 4831SC with 168 grain bullets. I settled on 4831 because it is allegedly more temp stable. I settled on ABLR because I think they perform better on game though I was able to get the Berger VLD to shoot better groups. I think mine is a 1:9 so I guess I can't really comment on your twist but Berger has a pretty handy chart to help you match twist to bullet.

177 Hammers. We built a 1-7 280 last winter. Steve sent me acouple 177's to try The owner had a 197 sierria on hand and other thn the bigger meplat they were very close in shape. With the load built for the 197 I loaded the 2 hammers with the charge and seating and put them through the group we had up. That was better than .5 @100 without the 2 hammers that didn't change with them at all. You can most likely get better than 2950fps and @ .32-33 G7 you will have a great load

1:7" twist? That is really fast for a .284 bore. Make sure of that. Most are 1:9", or possibly 1:8" for the fast twists.

My .280AI is a 1:9" and pushing a 175 Berger Elite Hunter @ 2975fps over RL23.
Bought it used on here a few days ago. Seller assured me it's 1:7. Kind of cool because I should be able to shoot as heavy as I want. Thanks for all the responses everybody. I'll definitely try the hammers as I have been hearing all the great things about them on here and recently got some 181s for my 300 win.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.