280 ackley improved hard to close bolt handle

The Duke007

So i recently purchased a nosler patriot rifle chambered in 280AI, i loaded a few rounds for break in and groups. Before i went to the range i put a bullet in to see how it chambered and the bolt handle wouldnt go down,the only way it went down was with excessive force. Im using nosler brass with nosler 140 accubond. OAL 3.330. When i put a piece of brass by itself with no bullet seated the bolt closes normal. Anyone have any ideas.

Nosler has a forum (Nosler owned and operated)....I'd ask there....they're good people and will fix it if something is wrong.

No sign of rifling on bullet,i tried seating the bullet a little lower and still have the same problem. My next step was checking the nosler brass which was correct. So i figured that if i trim the brass it might work so i did and dont have a problem, so do i have to do this all the time or did nosler do a bad job? I really dont know what to do. I definately dont want to keep trimming new brass every time.

I have trimmed new unfired brass 15 thousandths and did not have any issues. I tried loading new nosler brass and resized brass still the same issue. Im starting to think something might be wrong with the rifle. I also called nosler today the tech on the phone was stumped. Ive been reloading for a while and never had any issues like this. Although he told me maybe my expander ball needs to be shaved a little might be stretching brass when it comes back out. I dont think thats the issue but im going to try it. Just very confused

I have trimmed new unfired brass 15 thousandths and did not have any issues. I tried loading new nosler brass and resized brass still the same issue. Im starting to think something might be wrong with the rifle. I also called nosler today the tech on the phone was stumped. Ive been reloading for a while and never had any issues like this. Although he told me maybe my expander ball needs to be shaved a little might be stretching brass when it comes back out. I dont think thats the issue but im going to try it. Just very confused

Do you have your seating die set to "crimp". I recently tore down some ammo that someone had the seating die too deep and was ballooning the case neck. Rounds wouldn't chamber.

Die is not set to crimp, they do not crimp at all as far as i know. I did notice on the brass that, at the rim of the case i could see a faint ring mark. I dont know if that helps any.
Thanks

Dies are redding3 die set 84428. I just looked on the sight and it looks like it crimps as well i didnt notice that. Im going to try backing it it off and see what happens.

Finally figured out the issue i was having with the help of you guys. I was over crimping. I backed off a little and it was as if it never happened. The next obstacle now is accuracy dropped of tremmendously. I was shooting half inch groups at 200 yds, now opened up to two inches. I think im going to try and crimp again without being so bad to chamber the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.