280 ackley imp loads

DCAN

Looking for info on RL26 and 280 ack imp loads. Have been using H4350 and was thinking of trying something new.

Tagging in. I would also like to try some R26. Currently I'm using H4831SC with 168 classic hunters.

I've never reloaded for my AI. I need to start. So any powders with ranges will be nice. I know start lower cuz all guns are different. But I have retumbo and h1000 and some 4350 and 483-sc

Most of the time I've had better luck w/ IMR4831 w/ the 150's-160+ grain bullets, and RL22. IMR7828 for the 175 NPT which I know a lot of people may think it's outdated, same might say for the 150 BT, but they still just plain work.

RL26 is basically RL25 which is/was a very slow powder, I'd assume you'd want a fast twist with a heavy for caliber bullet.

Oh, I have used H4350 to fire form loads, it's better suited to the 140-150 grain bullets IMO, but I have tried it w/the 162 ELD-X. So-so for me, but my rifle is only a 1:10". I didn't see a real need to burn up bullets, or the powder down my barrel anymore, been there done that years ago with this gun, and why I went to test all the newer stuff was beyond me!

Last edited:
Most of the time I've had better luck w/ IMR4831 w/ the 150's-160+ grain bullets, and RL22. IMR7828 for the 175 NPT which I know a lot of people may think it's outdated, same might say for the 150 BT, but they still just plain work.

RL26 is basically RL25 which is/was a very slow powder, I'd assume you'd want a fast twist with a heavy for caliber bullet.

Oh, I have used H4350 to fire form loads, it's better suited to the 140-150 grain bullets IMO, but I have tried it w/the 162 ELD-X. So-so for me, but my rifle is only a 1:10". I didn't see a real need to burn up bullets, or the powder down my barrel anymore, been there done that years ago with this gun, and why I went to test all the newer stuff was beyond me!
Thanks for the info. I've been using Barnes bullets up till now. This is my spring bear gun and with the Barnes bullets it kills like Thor's hammer! But not being able to leave well enough alone, I just can't resist tinkering.

I have a load I developed years ago when the TSX's first came out I still use to this day w/RL22 and the 160 TSX FB in my 280 AI, works great.... nothing has ever walked away.

I'm using the Nosler 140 & 160gr Accubonds with IMR4831, I'd be interested in comments and load data folks have using H4350, I don't find any load data in my books.

I use H4831sc and 140 accubond. I would never use rl22 in a hunting rifle in my state, way to much temp sensitivity with that stuff. I have the 140 going to 3200fps, it's only a whitetail/black bear gun so 140s are perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.