280 Ackley Chamber

Reamers and gauges are made following those SAAMI prints. If your reamer doesn't conform to SAAMI specs, its the reamer or gauge or both that is wrong, not the print! And, for what it's worth, .280 Rem brass or factory loaded cartridges won't "crush fit" into any SAAMI .280AI chamber I have had come through my shop, including a couple made/marketed by Nosler. Now, go ahead and tell me that JGS and Dave Manson don't know how to make a chambering reamer to spec.

Last edited:
I do 5 different AI Chambers and use the standard go as a no go on all of them. Got the Sammi guage for 280AI and was a waste of money because it shows the same as the standard go. I just ask other Smith's to try both guages and see what they show. I know what it will show because I've done checked at least the last dozen or so I built the last couple yrs. The proof is the guage in the chamber not the numbers on the Reamer print.
Shep
Help me wrap my head around the above statement :
Why do you use a Standard (Traditional) GO gauge as a NO-GO ?

If both the SAAMI GO and the Traditional GO yield the same headspace for you, why not use one of those in the normal fashion ?

I use the standard go guage as a no go guage on AI Chambers because it's what PO Ackley said to do. It gives you a chamber that is .004 shorter than the parent case. If you take any of Ackley said designs and run the Reamer .014 short would you then have a Sammi spec chamber. No. So if Nosler runs a 280AI Reamer in .014 short is it a 280AI or is it a 280nosler imp? If it's not run in .004 short it's not an Ackley improved. If only PO Ackley were here now. I think he would be peed off.
Shep

As per post 48. Redding is saying their 280ai is different than a 280rem imp. 2 different cartridges. An improved can be any length you want. An AI is specifically made .004 short of parent cartridge. Post 49. I never said any Reamer prints we're wrong. I said gunsmiths don't chamber to the numbers on them. We use Sammi spec guages to make a chamber the correct depth. So if I'm using a Sammi spec 280ai guage and a standard 280 go guage as a no go and they both give me the same depth than I conclude it's the same chamber. The Reamer is cut the same and it's the same depth in the barrel. The intent of making the chamber .004 shorter from Ackley was so parent brass would have a crush fit and be easier to fireform. Now if nosler made the chamber another .014 shorter that's .018 shorter than parent brass. A standard 280 brass would never fit in a nosler chamber. Yet they do fit with a slight crush fit. Just like the Ackley is supposed to.
Shep
We agree that P.O. Ackley wildcats off the parent cartridges are designed from a headspace 0.004" shorter than the headspace datum on the parent SAAMI cartridge? If so, let's continue with that as a precept, a principle set in concrete. Engineers might call this as an established design parameter.

I will provide the description of the math (largely tedious trigonometry) I used to calculate the headspace for the SAAMI "280 Remington (7mm Express Remington)", after wildcatting to P.O. Ackley's version of the 280 A.I.

I start with the SAAMI "280 Remington" minimum chamber headspace dimension of 2.100" at the 0.375" shoulder diameter datum off the SAAMI drawing. I subtract 0.004" from that dimension. 2.100" minus 0.004" equals 2.096" headspace at the 0.375" datum on the 15 degree, 15 minute shoulder angle on the "280 Remington" SAAMI minimum chamber drawing. I then process the math (primarily tedious trigonometric calculations) to convert the "280 Remington" parent chamber (minus 0.004" on the shoulder) into a 40-degree shoulder. The mathematical transformation of the shoulder angle begins at the neck/shoulder junction of the SAAMI "280 Remington" (minus 0.004"). A 40-degree shoulder from that neck/shoulder junction continues back toward the case body until it meets with the (now) lengthened case body, at the enlarged shoulder diameter specified on the SAAMI "280 Ackley Improved". This shifts the case body/shoulder junction forward from it's parent cartridge. The shoulder is mathematically transformed from 15 degrees, 15 minutes, to 40 degrees in this manner. I repeated the math calculations multiple times, and consistently reach a headspace dimension from the case head to the 0.375" datum on the transformed (Ackley-ized) 40-degree shoulder 0.014" (plus or minus a 0.0001-0.0003") longer than the SAAMI "280 Ackley Improved" minimum chamber headspace. Both the SAAMI "280 Remington" and "280 Ackley Improved" drawings measure headspace from the case head to the identical 0.375" diameter datum on the shoulders. Can't be any more straightforward, simpler, or verifiable. My calculations replicate the findings of Redding Reloading Company on their website, and the multiple other sources/references provided in my prior post.

Math removes the uncertainties of the QA/QC (correctness) of manufactured go-gauges, and the how those gauges get used to cut and measure chambers. Math can be vetted by others, with the sharing and proofing of calculation sheets. Nobody can vet the dimensions of others' go-gauges unless they have the gauges in hand, and measuring equipment sophisticated and precise enough to guarantee accurate measurements are collected at the proper locations.

My proposal? Run the math as I describe above. The beginning headspace dimension is 2.096"at the 0.375" datum (0.004" less than the SAAMI "280 Remington" minimum chamber headspace dimension). This means the case head to neck/shoulder junction is also reduced by 0.004" from the SAAMI "280 Remington". The shoulder angle transformation to 40-degrees begins at this distance from the case head. I understood you agree this is consistent with a traditional Ackley wildcat cartridge, as P.O. Ackley intended and consistently practiced.

Should you (or anyone of your choosing) perform this math, and conclude the calculated headspace from the case head to the 0.375" datum on the converted/transformed 40-degree shoulder is less than 0.013" longer than the current SAAMI "280 Ackley Improved" minimum chamber headspace dimension at the 0.375" datum, provide images of your calculation sheets. I'll spend the time to review those calculation sheets. I see a competent and good faith effort at the math, I'll compare that math to my own calculations. It should be possible to settle this matter, with a straightforward mathematical analysis. Provided... we accept the premise that math can, and does, precede the establishment of SAAMI cartridge standards, drawings, and dimensions. Math sets the foundation of every SAAMI cartridge standard. Without it there could be no meaningful SAAMI standards. If you're gonna throw the math away if it doesn't reach your required endpoint, don't waste your time, or mine.

Well? I'm up for it.

Last edited:
I use the standard go guage as a no go guage on AI Chambers because it's what PO Ackley said to do. It gives you a chamber that is .004 shorter than the parent case. If you take any of Ackley said designs and run the Reamer .014 short would you then have a Sammi spec chamber. No. So if Nosler runs a 280AI Reamer in .014 short is it a 280AI or is it a 280nosler imp? If it's not run in .004 short it's not an Ackley improved. If only PO Ackley were here now. I think he would be peed off.
Shep
Ackley never 'improved' the .280 Remington. (It was called the 7mmRem Express for part of its life) ya', he'd be peed off that Nosler screwed-up his plan that has worked well , up until the .280

Shep
OK, I get it.
When you say "standard gauge" you mean a Plain Jane .280 Remington gauge.

This is straight from Nosler. They specifically say use a standard 280 case and fire form it. It fits in their chamber or they would tell you to set it back .014. Like I said before standard 280 brass fit with a slight crush in the nosler chambers just as they do in the Po Ackley chamber. Someone mentioned that standard brass hasn't fit in any of their sammi 280ai chambers. Better call nosler and ask them why and why do they say to use standard brass for fireforming if it won't fit. They fit in every one I've worked with. I guess nosler doesn't know either and they standardized it. If they know their chambers are .014 short then they surely know that a standard brass won't fit without being set back some. Yet there is no mention of standard brass not fitting. That's because it does. For several yrs the 280ai was the most popular cartridge I chambered in my shop. I have shot and reloaded for many of them. Including Nosler factory rifles. I've measured them all with the gauges. I've fireformed brass and used nosler preformed brass. My conclusion is the chambers cut to po ackley spec is the same as chambers cut to sammi spec. I don't care what some reamer print says I have measured the actual guns made by nosler and by myself. I've measured chambers and fired brass. I have not seen the .014 thou short in sammi chambers.
shep

You having not seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You've concluded it doesn't exist. In your mind, you're correct. However you couldn't type together a long enough post and add enough pictures to clearly explain your methods, provide the exacting dimensions of your go gauges and chambers, and how and where you took measurements to reach a proper conclusion. Because there's an abundance of potential sources of error that could have led to your having not seen it.

Many others have seen it. Companies that employ mathematicians and design engineers, and pay them to get it right the first time around, rather than manufacturing on a trial and error basis. Multiple chamber reamer manufacturers sell different go-gauges for the two different Ackley cartridges, produce different chamber reamer spec sheets for the two different cartridges, and at least one resizing die manufacturer produces different tools and equipment to resize casings for the two different cartridges. Many other gunsmiths have seen it. The mathematics proves it in fact does exist, and also identifies the magnitude of the difference.

So my challenge remains on the table. Run the math. If you can't perform the trigonometry, select anyone of your choosing and have them run thru the mathamatical solution. If your/their mathematical solution results in less than 0.013" longer headspace in the traditional Ackley 280 improved compared to Nosler's SAAMI "280 Ackley Improved", post the calculation sheets on this Forum with supportive description of that solution. We'll get this solved, in the same manner others have prior to their production and manufacture of two different sets of tools for the two different cartridges. Easy Peasy.

On the other hand, if you don't like being shown to have been wrong on technical matter in your own field of work, you really might just continue with the repetitive line of argument that "I've done it, I've taken measurements, I've reached my conclusion, and I'm right." Well I'll give you that. Your conclusion can be the right one for you. Doesn't make it true.

I'm going to quote a member who was a stickler for detail, and who identified the difference in headspace dimensions between the traditional 280 AI and Nosler's SAAMI approved version - the "280 Ackley Improved" very shortly after Nosler's version was christened by SAAMI.

Take note that J E stated in two different posts that most bolt actions will close on a cartridge that headspaces off the shoulder, even if the chamber is 0.014" shorter in headspace dimension than the cartridge was designed for. So the fact that 280 Remington cartridges can be chambered in a bolt rifle chambered for the SAAMI "280 Ackley Improved" doesn't appear to be significant in determining whether or not there's a 0.014" difference in headspace dimension between the SAAMI "280 Remington" and the SAAMI "280 Ackley Improved".

Most notable, J E also stated that he talked to the reamer manufacturers and they told him: "THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT GO GAGES FOR THE TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF BRASS/chambers".

I find nothing in 25WSM's last post that's eliminates the potential for the 0.014" difference in headspace between the traditional 280 AI and the SAAMI "280 Ackley Improved". The Nosler article didn't speak to the likeness, or the difference, between a P.O. Ackley traditional 280 AI and their version - the 280 Ackley Improved. Can't blame them for avoiding any speak on that topic. They, with SAAMI's blessing, named their cartridge 280 Ackley Improved, even though it's not the P.O. Ackley version that had preceded their version by decades.

J E Custom... Rest in Peace.

A .014 thousandths short chamber is not a problem for most bolts to close on with cases that head space on the shoulder, But in my mind a .014 thousandth long chamber Is a questionable condition.

J E CUSTOM

The reason I like to use the other go Gage (The 280 rem) It is .014 thousandths longer, is to be able to shoot factory ammo while Fire forming (All except Nosler) with perfect head space. This also has the 280 head stamp on the ammo. (Not a real issue but nice and easy).

Also you are right, if you chamber and head space with the New AI you will have .014 thousandths crush on other cases and can probably close the bolt
on them for fire forming. Some times if the case is to tight it's memory will cause it to remain larger than your chamber causing you to have to bump the case the first loading to get it to chamber smoothly.

J E CUSTOM

Once again. In the interest of safety I am going to break my silence and throw one more thing out that should put this to bed.

After talking to the reamer manufactures. To get a good, clear answer to this rodeo. I have narrowed it down to one simple thing.

"THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT GO GAGES FOR THE TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF BRASS/chambers".

IF YOU INTEND TO USE THE NOSLER AMMO/BRASS IN YOUR 280 AI you must/should use the matching head space gage for that chamber.

IF YOU INTEND TO FIRE FORM THE 280 rem brass in your chamber you need to use the 280 rem go gage with .004 crush.

There is .014 to .019 difference in the chambers and factory ammo.

Simply put, There is a difference in the brass/chambers or they would not require two different go gages. To use the wrong gage or brass, ammo would/could be dangerous.

In my opinion If you are mixing brass and have gotten away with it, you have been lucky.

Armed with this information, Everyone is on there own.

J E CUSTOM

I present the final chapter of this decade long saga. Solved by a simple engineer. A lowly mathematician. A guy that's never operated a metal machine lathe. Mr. Kiff, should he read this, will remember me from the conflict of days gone by on the Shooters' Forum. Even though that embarassing thread was deleted shortly after I confounded that Forum's experts.

Some background: I went thru laborious trigonometric calculations years back in order to mathematically demonstrate that P.O. Ackley's traditional 280 AI would indeed have a headspace measured from its case head to the 0.375" diameter datum on its 40-degree shoulder that is 0.014" longer than the headspace on Nosler's SAAMI adopted "280 Ackley Approved". In order to complete the math, I was forced to educate myself on the ways, means, methods, and standardized practices of P.O. Ackley's improved cartridges.

This Thread caused me to re-evaluate and search for a reliable and simpler way to settle the continuing difference of positions. In a way most could follow and solve using nothing more than mathematical subtraction. Between my prior exercise in trigonometry and schooling on the P.O. Ackley's standard operating procedure for 'improving' parent cartridges, the light bulb came to life.

Below is the SAAMI "280 Remington (7mm Express Remington)" chamber drawing. Look at the drawing and find the Breech Bolt Face to neck/shoulder junction distance of 2.1924". This is the parent cartridge of the PO Ackley improved.

SAAMI 280 Remington (7mm Express Remington) Chamber Dimensions.JPG

Here's the Nosler version, the SAAMI "280 Ackley Improved" chamber drawing. Look at the drawing and find the Breech Face to neck/shoulder junction distance of 2.1742".

SAAMI 280 Ackley Improved Chamber Dimensions.JPG

P.O. Ackley's standard practice when improving a parent cartridge was to set the chamber neck/shoulder junction back 0.004" less than that of the parent cartridge. This ensured the bolt would close on the parent cartridge case with a 0.004" crush fit. This crush fit holds the parent cartridge case head in firm contact with the bolt face, so the case web doesn't stretch during the initial fire forming of the parent cartridge in the 'Improved' chamber. This technique forces the parent case to instead, stretch in the shoulder area to fill the larger 'improved' chamber ID. 25WSM is in agreement. He stated this is what PO Ackley said to do in post #54.
I use the standard go gauge as a no go gauge on AI Chambers because it's what PO Ackley said to do. It gives you a chamber that is .004 shorter than the parent case. If you take any of Ackley said designs and run the Reamer .014 short would you then have a Sammi spec chamber. No. So if Nosler runs a 280AI Reamer in .014 short is it a 280AI or is it a 280nosler imp? If it's not run in .004 short it's not an Ackley improved. If only PO Ackley were here now. I think he would be peed off.
Shep

Here's 'the rest of the story'. The FINAL conclusion:
"280 Remington" breech bolt face to neck/shoulder junction distance from SAAMI = 2.1924". Reduce this distance by 0.004" in conformance with PO Ackley's standard practice, for Ackley improving the 280 Remington.
2.1924" - 0.004" = 2.1884" This is the breech bolt face distance to case neck/shoulder junction for the Ackley improved 280 cartridge. Also commonly known as the traditional 280 AI.

"280 Ackley Improved" breech face to neck/shoulder junction distance from SAAMI = 2.1742".

Subtract the smaller/shorter "280 Ackley Improved" 2.1742" distance from the from the larger/longer 2.1884" for the traditional 280 AI.

2.1884" minus 2.1742" equals 0.0142"

Since both cartridges share the same 40-degree shoulder angle, the 0.0142" difference is maintained at any common datum point along the shoulder.

I really hate being right! And it should come as no surprise that J E Custom had it nailed down, right from the very get-go.

Last edited:
DirectDrive, if this thread hasn't scared you off this is what I would do. Go with a Saami reamer with a matched set of gauges. If your going to reload purchase a die set before the barrel is chambered and let your smith know how much shoulder bump you want with the die shouldered on the shell holder. Fred Zeglin knows what he is talking about and does a good job explaining the problems of chambering AI's such as tolerance stacking.