.280 ackley build

That is very true, I'm setting mine up more strictly for a hunting rifle though since I have a heavier 7mag with a 26" barrel. 25" would be unique but I may as well go 24" since it will be noticeably shorter. My muzzle diameter will be .700. I'm gonna put my 4.5-14 A.O. CDS Leupold on it. Another question I keep thinking of is weight? I was thinking 8-8.5 with a 24". Not sure though, this rifle will harvest many of deer in eastern Oregon. I use a model 70 featherweight in .257 Roberts and love it. This will just be a range extender. I used an A-bolt 270 wsm for a while, I guess this is basically the replacement for my long range deer whackmaster.

I am debating between a 280 and an AI...I have a few months to think about it as I am 2 months into a 9-12 month wait. I was also debating a 24" vs 26" barrel, but my smith, Darrell Holland, recommended a 24" for a hunting rifle in the 8-8.5 lb range.

I will likely go with an AI in 24" in large part due to his recommendation...but I have a 223 varmint on the way in 26" so will see what I think about that length barrel. My duck gun is 28" and it is pretty unwieldy in the bush so unless I fall in live with the 26" will go with a 24".

For brush guns, have you all ever thought about just a .284 Win.? The powder would burn faster allowing you to have a shorter barrel with greater efficiency and since you are going for light and not for extreme precision, a SA A) weighs less and B) is inherently shorter by about an inch. Also with the whole 284 Win. Burning powder faster leading to efficiency with a shorter barrel... Get a 22" or 24" an keep it worldy. Just a thought.

Brush .280 AI??? If you hunt brush I'd get a .308 Win or a .30-30 Win.

The .280 AI needs to stretch her legs out, IMO.

You are in the same situation as me Oregonian. I thought I was being different **** it! And hey, you never know where you will end up in the field. You might have to walk right into the trees for some reason. I think any rifle can double as a brush gun if it needs be. I brought my heavy 7 bear hunting with a 6.5-20 mark IV and it felt goofy as hell at times. Great for glassing though. Where we deer hunt you are either stalking or glassing so it's nice for me to split the difference. But the .280 strictly as a brush gun....I suppose I agree It's not the best choice. .284 was my original plan, neat little cartridge. Glad I bought a blank barrel! Choices, choices.

You are in the same situation as me Oregonian. I thought I was being different **** it! And hey, you never know where you will end up in the field. You might have to walk right into the trees for some reason. I think any rifle can double as a brush gun if it needs be. I brought my heavy 7 bear hunting with a 6.5-20 mark IV and it felt goofy as hell at times. Great for glassing though. Where we deer hunt you are either stalking or glassing so it's nice for me to split the difference. But the .280 strictly as a brush gun....I suppose I agree It's not the best choice. .284 was my original plan, neat little cartridge. Glad I bought a blank barrel! Choices, choices.

.284 has a lot of thud, and it wins long range competitions. It may not quite have the umph 280 AI has, but a deer won't know the difference at 500 yards still... And .284 will have less recoil. I do think for your purposes it is the better caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts