280 Ack Load Development Help

Maybe I missed it but what twist is your barrel, the brand and length? I am surprised RL26 did not perform that well as others have really sung its praises. My 280ai with a brux 25 inch barrel just can't reach 3000 fps which is where I would like to be.

Brux four groove, 9 twist, 28". I'm at 136 rounds total as of today. I had it out again early this morning after a thorough cleaning (velocity was creeping up) and again, spot on. Velocity dropped back to normal still single digit ES. Sub half MOA at 300 yards dead center. Yesterday both groups were a hair under half MOA. I just can't seem to have a bad session with 4831SC. I'm going to stick with the 9-1/2 Rem primers.

What is your total overall loaded length of the cartridge?

What is your case capacity in H2o/grs?

QL shows 74.0grs, H2o.

I am testing again to confirm my testing RL-26 powder in my 284 pistol,
went from 3-4" groups @ 300 yds, 140 gr Nosler Parts,
down to 1", at the same range, with my 21"bbl SP pistol,
after I found the sweet spot where everything plays well together.

Tia,
Don

I had a carbon ring issue with RL26 but once I figured it out it works well. Group at 1020yds.

Attachments

• 280 Imp 1020yds.jpg
    280 Imp 1020yds.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 51
I use Nosler brass, 168gr Berger VLD, 58.5 H4831SC, BR2 primer, .002 undersized brass neck with a Redding bushing, and bullet .002/.003 off the lands. This is a hot load. Work up to it. Shoots bullets on top of each other at 200 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.