28 Yukon take 2!

Shooter264

Just finished up my second 28 Yukon, and it's as equally impressive as the first. After 5 break in rounds I started shooting groups. The first three groups have it off to a great start, smallest group is .195" and largest is .441". The .441" was the first group. To say I'm impressed with the proof research bbl is an understatement. I've have 2 so far and after about 10 rounds they just quit making copper. We'll see how they hold up in the long run. Specs of the rifle are as follows

Action- recently traded for Stiller Predator
Stock- Manners EH1
Barrel- Proof Research 1 in 8.44 Sendero lite finished at 26"
Brake- Hawkins Precision
Trigger- Timney Calvin Elite set at 1lb 14 ounces
Rings- Talley
Scope- Leupold VX6 3-18x50 TMOA reticle
Weight as shown 8lb 10 ounces
All metal Work done by Cloud Peak Gunworks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 170
Good looking rifle, beautiful groups and overall weight sounds amazing, considering that target barrel on there.
Tell me more about the round you're shooting...? 28 Yukon?

It's my version of the 28 Nosler. Body has been pushed back to allow for a longer neck. Thought is that barrel life will be longer because of the longer neck being easier on the throat. Pictured is the 28 nosler on the left and the Yukon on the right. My other rifle shoots 180 JLKS really well at 3185. I've ran it to 3230 but brass life is gone after 3 loadings

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 153
That is a good looking rifle and the exterior ballistics are great (180grain bullet at 3100+)

What's the case capacity of the round? what are recommended powders? Seems like the slow powders would be best. Retumbo? H1000?

Case capacity is right at 97 grains water to top of case. We've found that Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum, and H1000 all work well. H1000 seems to pressure up before max velocity is achieved. I'd like to try some 50BMG behind a 195 to see what it will do. I am currently running a 180 JLK and 78.5 grains of retumbo and its running 3127 at 42 rounds. Should speed up 50-70 fps as it gets broke in. SD's are good and primer pockets are super tight after firing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 144
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.