28 Nosler

ofdscooby

A friend of mine who is a little better off with their ability to throw gun money around is done with his Proof barrel. He chambered it in 28 Nosler and was never able to get it to fly to his liking. He pulled the barrel and went back to a Krieger and now he's happy. He said I could have the barrel and see if I could get it to fly. I don't want a 28 Nosler and was looking at cartridge options to re-chamber it in. I was thinking maybe a 7 saum if I decided to mess with it at all. So what say you is it the cartridge or the barrel. I know that's a tough ask but what the heck. I know its not the shooter or the load. I have since shot the rifle now that its been rebarreled and its a shooter. Also is there anything I'm missing looking at cartridge dimensions seems like a SAUM would be the only option if I wanted to change cartridges. OK let me have it.

That barrel would have to be "set back" a lot for it to be rechambered for the SAUM case.

Likely easier to go longer on case than shorter.

Depends on the length of the shank.

Last edited:
Proof barrels, assuming that it's carbon wrapped, can't be set back much if at all. The only thing you might be able to do is make it a 7mm RUM. I would just save the time and effort and put the money towards a new barrel that you can make whatever you want.

I did my 7rum off of a 28 Nos. chambered Brux. The kicker was my 'smith still took around an inch off to get a clean chamber and get the reamer pilot to index well enough. Ymmv though and you could probably get away with zero setback if it only has a few rounds on it.

Recent Posts