28 nosler

compared to the N570 thats what I found. I know its not considered a "dirty" powder compared to many others, and maybe I was using too much powder, i dont know. But pulling a patch after each shot I noticed its a lot blacker than pulling a patch after every shot of N570.
All powders react differently to some degree when the relationship between bore /capacity / projectile wt. changes. Some more than others. That's why there is a wide difference in opinion on powders. H1000 is great in some cartridges, and not so great in others, and that can change with bullet weight. Same with all the others. R33 is supposed to be the bomb with a 28 Nosler, but it isn't with a bullet lighter than 180grs. This kind of stuff is what makes this hobby so interesting. You never stop learning, scratching your head, and experimenting.

Those of us, that used the good ole 7STW (28Nosler ballistic twin), way back when, before the excellent powders of the early 2000's to present, found that the 7mm bore, mid-weight bullets and "slow" powders of the day, 20 shots was a max before the rifle turned into a long range shotgun. And cleaning was mandatory.

H4831, H1000(pre Extreme) and H5010 (pre H50BMG) were and still are excellent propellants. Now we've available new slower powders with better technology behind them.

FWIW, in 7STW, best combination of velocity and accuracy has been RL26 and 7828 with 160accubonds. I think you are leaving lots of velocity on the table if you're only running 162s at 3100. I do find RL26 dirtier than 7828.

compared to the N570 thats what I found. I know its not considered a "dirty" powder compared to many others, and maybe I was using too much powder, i dont know. But pulling a patch after each shot I noticed its a lot blacker than pulling a patch after every shot of N570.
Plus the barrel runs cooler with n570 than the others

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.