28 Nosler

I just did a search on 28 Nosler and there is too much info there for me to post it here. I believe you can get answers to your question quickly if you do the same. Good day!

I am sure Rick was referring to the search engine at the top of the page for this site.
I would not consider 140s in a 28N. They are best with 175-195 weight Bullets. I run a 175 at 3212 fps with a custom reamer. Barrel life will depend on many factors. I would not expect it to be over 1000 rds. Half that if you push it hard and hot. Slow powders are best. Retumbo, RL-26, RL-33.

You can probably do the same for every caliber that has been on the market for more than 2 years. I asked it here, because I know there are people who have used it.
Sorry if I may have ruffled your feathers. Lol. However, I was referencing the Search on this forum. You can get a bunch of information real quick. Again, good day.

Most guys are shooting 175 grain minimum in the 28 and barrel life depends a lot on how hard u push it. I'm running 195s at 3150 and expect to get somewhere around 800 rounds

I am sure Rick was referring to the search engine at the top of the page for this site.
I would not consider 140s in a 28N. They are best with 175-195 weight Bullets. I run a 175 at 3212 fps with a custom reamer. Barrel life will depend on many factors. I would not expect it to be over 1000 rds. Half that if you push it hard and hot. Slow powders are best. Retumbo, RL-26, RL-33.
What brand of bullet did you find to group the best? berger, hornady, etc ...

I'm sorry this thread got sideways. It's an idea worth pursuing.

I had a request to use lighter bullets in a rifle I was chambering for the 28 Nosler. I immediately switch to the 140 grain Berger VLD and 143 grain Hammer Hunter. Both function very well in the standard chamber using the standard length magazine box. No custom reamer, no custom throating, no excessive jumping but lots of good slow (cool burning) powders yielding an excellent combination for the serious hunter. You can't accomplish this when the chamber is set up for the heavy for caliber bullets only. There's nothing wrong with shooting the lighter bullets, they will harvest game also.

Just a different way to approach a question.;)

That is the kind of replies I was looking for. Not people to tell me to use the heavier bullets. When I bought my 7RUM, Remington was loading the Premier loads with 140 gr bullets, that gave you 3600+ fps, and sub MOA groups. Then, Remington quit the Premier loads for that rifle and I have about shot the barrel out of it, load testing with 140 gr bullets and different powders. I have bought the 140 VLD, but have not tested them. I plan to.

Most guys are shooting 175 grain minimum in the 28 and barrel life depends a lot on how hard u push it. I'm running 195s at 3150 and expect to get somewhere around 800 rounds

I'm not trying to be a wise-*** by asking you but why on earth would you spend all that money on a rifle as well as the time and effort involved in working up a load, to only get 800 rounds out of the barrel.

Unless you plan on shooting 20 rounds a year, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Why do you guys do it?

I'm not trying to be a wise---- by asking you but why on earth would you spend all that money on a rifle as well as the time and effort involved in working up a load, to only get 800 rounds out of the barrel.

Unless you plan on shooting 20 rounds a year, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Why do you guys do it?
Bc this is my custom light weight mountain hunting rifle I had built that now that load development is done I will shoot less than 20 rounds a year. I also have a 6xc, 6.5 creedmoor, 260 Remington, 300 saum, 6.5x47 lapua, etc to choose from when I want to go to my personal 1,000 yard range and send rounds down range that day.
Just curious but how many rounds do you fire a year out of a dedicated hunting rifle.

Bc this is my custom light weight mountain hunting rifle I had built that now that load development is done I will shoot less than 20 rounds a year. I also have a 6xc, 6.5 creedmoor, 260 Remington, 300 saum, 6.5x47 lapua, etc to choose from when I want to go to my personal 1,000 yard range and send rounds down range that day.
Just curious but how many rounds do you fire a year out of a dedicated hunting rifle.

That makes perfect sense since the rifle will essentially last you a lifetime that way.

I know where you are going with your question to me and the answer is that I put around 100-150 rounds through my 7mmRem a year. This is for hunting, the range, and shooting prairie dogs with it once a year. I only have that one rifle for big game. I am using a Criterion SS Barrel with Remage action to switch out when I wear it out. 3,000 so far with no changes that I can detect

That28 Nosler must be a flat shooter

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.