28 nosler

Gills

wanting a 28 nosler rifle rarely light weight. Any suggestions? Deffinely want 26" barrel. Thinking browning, fierce, Christensen arms, or Montana rifle. Any feed back would be great

Just did a load work up for customer with a MT rifle. They are a slow twist at 9.5" and also have a short mage box. With that slow twist the heaviest bullet we could load that has a higher bc is a 131g Hammer Hunter. With that said this rifle shot very well. Printed a one hole group at 200y with a vel of 3586fps and 7.8sd. Will get it out to long range and verify drops in the next few days. This will be a flat out laser beam to 800y.

Depending on what you want from the rifle you may want to look at one with a faster twist. I would look for a min 9" twist.

Steve

What is your budget? Christensen Ridgelines are accurate, well built rifles and the Fierce rifles are a little nicer and have a better action. My choice would be Fierce first CA second. I can't justify building a custom anymore with the rifles you can buy today unless you are set on a specific throat or stock and even the second can be fixed cheaply.

Working on a CA Ridgeline in 28 Nosler now. With the 1:9" twist, I opted for the 184 Berger F-open Hybrid. Ran them today from 2960 to 3240fps with no pressure except very slight ejector mark on the Nosler brass, which is notoriously soft headed.
Had several .7" or less groups with nothing but charge weight testing so far.
Throw a lightweight scope on them, and they are a great carry rifle.

would like to spend less than 3000. I am reluctant on the CA just because the of the action I prefer a shorter bolt throw like the browning and fierce and sako rifle. Although sako does not offer the 28 nosler. The browning is a little heavier than what I want.

I would highly recommend the Fierce Edge. The action is amazingly smooth cycling but does have slightly more effort required to open due to shorter bolt throw. The price is great for a .5 moa guaranteed rifle. The trigger is good but only adjusts down to 2lbs.

That's my only draw back I prefer a lighter trigger but I'm sure something can be done

My other option would be to get a sako rifle and have it rebarreled and chambered in the 28 but I don't have a good gunsmith close by and don't know what that would cost to have done

It is an enclosed trigger. I am pretty good at tinkering but I could not get it safely below 2lbs. It will adjust lower but not safely. I love the rifle so much I put a BixNAndy in mine.

There is no way you could buy a Sako 85, rebarrel it, and put a good stock on it for the price of a Fierce. If you want to save a few bucks the Fury is the same rifle with no fluted bolt, bolt knob, and barrel.

Do keep in mind with the Fierce and the CA they have SAAMI chambers which are short especially for the 28 and they have 9 twist barrels.

Fierce will sell you an action with trigger and DBM and all hardware for under $1k and a stock for $450. You could then buy one of their barrels or any barrel you choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts