28 Nosler

I agree with the above comments about factory loaded ammo for the 7mm RM and the 300 WIN. Another thing to consider is a muzzle brake. If you don't want to use one I'd go with the 7mm RM. It' tolerable to shoot without a brake. The 28 or the 300 WIN (especially with the heavy bullets) will both need one. I have used all 3 and they are all great. But for a factory rifle with factory ammo and no brake....the 7mm RM is the way to go in my opinion.

If you must shoot factory ammo, it would be my number one choice. That is why it was my number one choice. 300wm

Last edited:
160 grains would throw the 300 win mag out,but it puts the 7mm back in, but it seems like you want the 28 so go with it imo, 160 would probably be really good with 1:9 twist that Christensen has, but it would also be good with the 7mm with the same twist and there is the added benefit of ammo selection with the 7mm, but at the end of the day it will,be your rifle not mine or anyone else's so be happy with what you pick the first time other wise you end up like me and spend way to much on buying 2 guns instead of one

Bob Beck / EOL make ammo with the 195's but you need a faster twist, i would guess. I think he also makes Berger 180's. It isn't cheap but no factory ammo is for that gun.

Given that it is $2-$3 per round for brass, you should be able to sell it for half that, so that might offset the cost of ammo by $25 per box (pure guess as i haven't seen a price on used brass for it) which helps, although I suppose you could do that with other rounds if the ammo has high quality brass (Lapua, Norma, Nosler, etc).

There is some ammo available from obscure companies with a variety of bullets as well. You can get several boxes and see which shoots best in your rifle, then order that specific ammo again. It isn't handloading but it is better than factory. But this is a costly approach, and not sure if the desire for factory ammo is due to cost of entry of reloading or time investment involved.

Last edited:
I personally can not get the 195s to shoot good out of my CA 28 Nosler even though the stability calculator says I can with my elevation and velocity. I could get the 180s shooting good but not in factory ammo...CA are pretty hit or miss when shooting factory ammo IMO.

I totally agree with those suggesting the 300 win mag. jda2631 is spot on with his suggestion that factory ammo doesn't maximize the 28 Nosler. Like surgeon260 I also have a 28 but I wouldn't have built it if I didn't reload. There's definitely a far greater variety of factory 300 win mag ammo. If you plan to travel via airplanes and hunt the 300 or the 7mm is a slam dunk in case your ammo is lost. 28 Nosler ammo will be harder to find if you're in a pinch.

If you go 28 Nosler you'll be happy, its an amazing cartridge, I built one on a 1991 Rem 700 action, #3 fluted SS Benchmark Barrel, 1-9 twist,5R, with a brake
Wildcat Stock (Alberta), jewel Trigger-2.5lbs, Talleys are holding a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x44, its a pleasure to shoot and deadly accurate, Ive only shot factory ammo out of it so far.

I have added a brake to this rifle since having it built as it was very snappy without one.

Last edited:
If you go 28 Nosler you'll be happy, its an amazing cartridge, I built one on a 1991 Rem 700 action, #3 fluted SS Benchmark Barrel, 1-9 twist,5R, with a brake
Wildcat Stock (Alberta), jewel Trigger-2.5lbs, Talleys are holding a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x44, its a pleasure to shoot and deadly accurate, Ive only shot factory ammop out of it so far.

Nice looking rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.