28 nosler

Longrangec

I'm fixing to be in the process of building a 28 nosler to shoot berger 195 s .. what is the best coal to throat it to . Seems like 3.71 to 3.74 is what I'm seeing. I'm up for suggestions. It's going to have a 30 inch krieger heavy varmint barrel and I'm wanting to comfortably get 3150 with retumbo.

I'm currently having a 28 Nosler built as well. Ryan Pierce owner of piercisionrifles is building mine, he has built 60+ of them in the last year or so and all have been specifically built around the 195 Berger. The info he gave me is that his coal is 3.740" giving .020" jump. From talking to Ryan and reading elsewhere Retumbo is the best second choice for powder, decent speed, consistent velocitys and good accuracy. However THE powder of choice is RE33, very good speed, exceptional accuracy, consistent velocitys. Folks are seeing 3140 with 26-27" tubes with stupid accuracy at 86-88 grains of RE33 with the 195 Berger.

Yeah I just am going to run retumbo due to the fact that reloader 33 is known to not be temp stable . Thanks for your info though

I'm shooting a semi custom spec'd Montana Rifle Co.
28 Nosler
1:8 twist
26"barrel
Berger 195s
COAL 3.638"
0.020" off the lands
79.7grs Retumbo
3075fps

Shooting sub MOA

At 80grs had mild ejector marks. That's all I can get out of it.

From what I have read the RE33 is quite a bit different from other Alliant powders. Not nearly as temp sensitive as others. Time will tell as I shoot from 90 above to -15 so if it ends up to extreme I will run the Retumbo myself. I was hoping that Retumbo would be the best powder as I have 12#s on my shelf. I now have 8#s of RE33 on the shelf.....

My coal is a little longer than 3.74 at .020 off. As far as temp sensitivity with RE 33 goes it is somewhat mitigated by the fact the 195 going 3100 fps is a freakin laser beam. 20 fps isn't jack with the 28. A 20 fps change in velocity is like 2" @1000 yards. Considering the 28's I have built will hold 2-3" vertical at 1000 off a bipod that still puts it well under the vital size of big game animals. However the new sig kilo 2400 with its ability to save different velocitys based on different temps should completely eliminate problems with temp sensitivity.

My rifle should be finished next week, I had Manson build the reamer off a couple of dummy rounds I sent in. I would have to check the prints but I am pretty sure that the freebore ended up at .280 which would allow a little jump when the boat tail was seated at the neck shoulder junction. I also had a them put a little flatter lead angle on it along with a .318 neck.

How does the 28 work with the 160 to 180 grain bullets out there?
Gary b
handloader magizine did a article on the 28 with 300 loads oout of a nosler m 48 i think.

Oh alright .. with .280 Free bore what was your coal with the 195

I would have to check the COAL I usually just run off CBTO lengths but if my memory serves me correct COAL would end up around 3.76 to the lands but the oal of the bullets vary. It was enough that I had to install an extended magazine box. I really just made up some dummy rounds with the bullet where I wanted it and said give me .020 additional throat for jump.

breakshntr

Just so you know what you are getting into - Alliant distributes three different families of powder. The RL-22/RL-25 have horrible temp drift and good performance, the RL-17/RL-26/RL-33/RL-50 family exhibit moderate temp drift and unbeatable performance, the RL-16/RL-23 family is supposed to be rock solid with temp changes and give decent performance. I don't think you will get away with running RL-33 over a 100 degree F range and end up happy with the results. With that powder I develop loads in temps close to the temp I expect to use it in which if I have to shoot over temp extremes I might end up with several different loads to all give me the same velocity. I'd plan to use the ammo appropriate for that days temp.

And on the subject, I have a 28 Nolser semi custom build with a Kreiger 8 twist on a vintage Sako action. It is one of my favorites.

breakshntr

Just so you know what you are getting into - Alliant distributes three different families of powder. The RL-22/RL-25 have horrible temp drift and good performance, the RL-17/RL-26/RL-33/RL-50 family exhibit moderate temp drift and unbeatable performance, the RL-16/RL-23 family is supposed to be rock solid with temp changes and give decent performance. I don't think you will get away with running RL-33 over a 100 degree F range and end up happy with the results. With that powder I develop loads in temps close to the temp I expect to use it in which if I have to shoot over temp extremes I might end up with several different loads to all give me the same velocity. I'd plan to use the ammo appropriate for that days temp.

And on the subject, I have a 28 Nolser semi custom build with a Kreiger 8 twist on a vintage Sako action. It is one of my favorites.

I got what your saying, and sure hope to not ever have the need to shoot in anything in excess of 80 deg. For the most part I do most all of my load development and range verification between at no more than 50 deg. and try to keep it around 30 so things are as close to a day of typical hunting as possible. I really don't care to have two separate loads for different temps if it comes to that I'll just run Retumbo and live with 100fps less velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.