28 Nosler with 195 Bergers

I was trying to stay with barns really don't want to eat lead . Was able to hunt North Dakota this year did a nice job at 240 yards..

You did not. I tend to run my loads close to pressure and don't want anyone taking my data as gospel. I'll send you a private message.
Hi Sand Man, what load did you finally go with?? any chance you could PM me the info? Thx, jtflyer

Thanks for sharing your development! it was great to follow the process.

If you wouldn't mind sharing a little on how you had your rifle chambered? did your gun smith us a SAMMI reamer or did you give him a dummy round to follow? I want to have the availability to the shoot 195s but don't know if I need a custom chamber for those?

I'm starting to gather the parts for a custom 28. What was your COAL and did you need a longer magazine? I like the 1:8 twist but how about your barrel length including the break? I would like it to be a 24" barrel then add a break but dont know of thats too short? Im thinking the break will help vs just a straight 24" barrel.

Thanks for sharing your development! it was great to follow the process.

If you wouldn't mind sharing a little on how you had your rifle chambered? did your gun smith us a SAMMI reamer or did you give him a dummy round to follow? I want to have the availability to the shoot 195s but don't know if I need a custom chamber for those?

I'm starting to gather the parts for a custom 28. What was your COAL and did you need a longer magazine? I like the 1:8 twist but how about your barrel length including the break? I would like it to be a 24" barrel then add a break but dont know of thats too short? Im thinking the break will help vs just a straight 24" barrel.
If you're going to do a purpose length 24" 28 Nosler, just scrap that idea, and go 7RM throated for 195 Bergers? Even a 7-300 throated for Bergers?

Won't I loose even more velocity by switching to the 7mm shooting the same 195s then I would by jusy having a 28 nosler In a 24" barrel?
Yes you are correct that the 7RM will also lose velocity in a 24" barrel but likely not as much as the Nosler rounds thrive on ultra slow powders that typically take more barrel to get a complete burn.

I've shot the 195 in a few of my 28's but always went back to a 175-180 as the benefits of the 195 didn't outdo the extra speed of the 180's until way last where I would shoot at game.

I too was wondering the powder you're using as the ONLY powder I have been able to come close is Reloader 33 and that powder is now almost impossible to find.

Posted on page 1……. IMR 8133

Again, do not load off my data. I've had to since back off even more due to pressure with this rifle.

Not sure if any load/bullet combo short of 300/prc 225/230/245 can compare to the 28nosler/195 for perfect elk medicine!!!

What a great write up!!!

Kudos!!!
Except for..30 nosler, 300RUM, 30 Sherman,30-378 wby in those same bullet combos

I shoot H-1000 in my 28N and the 195s. Runs at a 2985 with no pressure signs. I have a very accurate N570 load that is 150 fps or so faster but I am babying it for barrel life.
It also likes the 180 VLD-H and the 169 Hammer Hunter.

Attachments

• IMG_3304.jpeg
    IMG_3304.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3068.jpeg
    IMG_3068.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 9

Recent Posts