28 Nosler with 195 Bergers

Tom Erickson

I was trying to stay with barns really don't want to eat lead . Was able to hunt North Dakota this year did a nice job at 240 yards..

jtflyer

You did not. I tend to run my loads close to pressure and don't want anyone taking my data as gospel. I'll send you a private message.
Hi Sand Man, what load did you finally go with?? any chance you could PM me the info? Thx, jtflyer

coues_country

Thanks for sharing your development! it was great to follow the process.

If you wouldn't mind sharing a little on how you had your rifle chambered? did your gun smith us a SAMMI reamer or did you give him a dummy round to follow? I want to have the availability to the shoot 195s but don't know if I need a custom chamber for those?

I'm starting to gather the parts for a custom 28. What was your COAL and did you need a longer magazine? I like the 1:8 twist but how about your barrel length including the break? I would like it to be a 24" barrel then add a break but dont know of thats too short? Im thinking the break will help vs just a straight 24" barrel.

jasonco

LRH Team Member
Thanks for sharing your development! it was great to follow the process.

If you wouldn't mind sharing a little on how you had your rifle chambered? did your gun smith us a SAMMI reamer or did you give him a dummy round to follow? I want to have the availability to the shoot 195s but don't know if I need a custom chamber for those?

I'm starting to gather the parts for a custom 28. What was your COAL and did you need a longer magazine? I like the 1:8 twist but how about your barrel length including the break? I would like it to be a 24" barrel then add a break but dont know of thats too short? Im thinking the break will help vs just a straight 24" barrel.
If you're going to do a purpose length 24" 28 Nosler, just scrap that idea, and go 7RM throated for 195 Bergers? Even a 7-300 throated for Bergers?

MallardAddict

Won't I loose even more velocity by switching to the 7mm shooting the same 195s then I would by jusy having a 28 nosler In a 24" barrel?
Yes you are correct that the 7RM will also lose velocity in a 24” barrel but likely not as much as the Nosler rounds thrive on ultra slow powders that typically take more barrel to get a complete burn.

I’ve shot the 195 in a few of my 28’s but always went back to a 175-180 as the benefits of the 195 didn’t outdo the extra speed of the 180’s until way last where I would shoot at game.