28 Nosler w/ 155 grain Hammer hunters

Bassin_Rob

Started building a new load today. Wondering if anyone has found some success with the Hammer bullets? Bonus points if the rifle happens to be a Christensen Arms. Place I bought the rifle from claim they have never gotten a Christensen to shoot copper. So far the only copper I've tried was Barnes 168 grain LRX and I couldn't get them to shoot better than an inch and a half at 100 yards. Was getting 1/4 groups out of Berger Hybrids.

First suggestion is forget general cup and core reloading practices, they do not maximize performance on mono style bullets. Monos tend to like speed and faster powders.

Hammer load data is:

Hopefully there is data here that will help.

Loaded them for several 28 noslers. All shot excellent with the proper barrel twist. All at 3320-3380fps out of a 26" barrel.

What powders do you have?

Loaded them for several 28 noslers. All shot excellent with the proper barrel twist. All at 3320-3380fps out of a 26" barrel.

What powders do you have?
I have Retumbo and H1000. Same powders I used with the Barnes with no sucess. But the retumbo was killer with the Berger Hybrids.

First suggestion is forget general cup and core reloading practices, they do not maximize performance on mono style bullets. Monos tend to like speed and faster powders.

Hammer load data is:

Hopefully there is data here that will help.
Thanks for the info, I did check that post out a little. Only load on there with that bullet is a faster twist rate and 2 inch shorter barrel. Better than nothing but hoping to find somethin a little closer.

Wish I woulda done more research when I purchased the gun. Seems like the 28 Nosler is really not that great with the 1-9 twist that Christensen offers.

B66EED3A-5A33-49F2-992F-4EA83F1A0CB0.jpeg

Try a COAL of 3.400" to start with

The 155HH is stable SG 1.67 at 5,000 ft at 3200fps. At 8,000 ft it is SG of 1.87. Personally, I like closer to 2.0 but it still might work for you if at altitude.

SAFE BET: shoot the 143HH as a laser!
The 143 is 2.08 SG at 8,000ft at 3400fps. At 5,000ft the SG is 1.85 so far more stable.

Stability calc from Berger twist calc.

The 155HH is stable SG 1.67 at 5,000 ft at 3200fps. At 8,000 ft it is SG of 1.87. Personally, I like closer to 2.0 but it still might work for you if at altitude.

SAFE BET: shoot the 143HH as a laser!
The 143 is 2.08 SG at 8,000ft at 3400fps. At 5,000ft the SG is 1.85 so far more stable.

Stability calc from Berger twist calc.
I guess if I can't get somethin decent out of these I'll give the 143s a go

You don't have enough twist for the 155s. Probably a waste of time/components. Look at the Hammer order page. It tells you required twists by weight. A 146 will likely do much better. Also, faster powders. And good luck.
Look at Hammer Hunter load data on this Forum.
Please post your results when done!
Edit: on second look, you may get away with some slower powders. The 146 was made for your twist.

Last edited: