28 Nosler vs 300 rum on mule deer and elk

Cartridge choice

• Total voters
do you want DBM or box mag? I would look at who is building rifles like you want.

I think the 300 RUM is hard to beat. again, can you do it with a 28 nolser. absolutely, but you can do it with the 300 as well

Just a standard box mag, I don't plan on needing more than one shot, but I'll have 2 to be safe. By the time I shoot more than 2-3 shots the barrel will be too hot to trust at range, even with a proof barrel. I'm going with proof for barrel harmonics and weight, not for heat dispersion. I was considering Ryan Pierce for the 28 Nosler, but also considering just buying all the parts I want and taking them to my smith to have them assembled correctly (for example taking him a Stiller action, proof barrel, McMillan or similar stock, bottom metal, Jewell trigger, etc) but of course talking to him about what will work and what won't.

This is my 28 Nosler with a 28" Frozen Fiber barrel built by Dead Down Range and chambered for the 195. Shoots incredible.
How do you like the swaro? Isn't that their first real long range capable scope? I saw a video saying the glass was amazing but he didn't say anything about click feel or tracking reliability.

How do you like the swaro? Isn't that their first real long range capable scope? I saw a video saying the glass was amazing but he didn't say anything about click feel or tracking reliability.
So far I love it. Way better glass than anything else I have shot including other Swarovski and NF.

Tracks perfectly.

A buddy of mine has done extensive testing with them and found excellent results.
I dig mine.

I've built around 15 28 Noslers for customers and one for myself that inrecently sold. Great round, with my reamer set up I run 195s at 3.670 oal at 3050 to 3150. Going to a 300 ultra for my personal rifle next. Hoping to shoot the 225 hornady eld at 3050 to 3100 with a 28" proof using a wyatts 3.850 box. Running the numbers drop and drift are virtually identical out to 2000, but the 225 wins on energy big time. With the new bullets coming out, large capacity .308s are beating the 7s and 338s to hunting distances fairly easily.

I've built around 15 28 Noslers for customers and one for myself that inrecently sold. Great round, with my reamer set up I run 195s at 3.670 oal at 3050 to 3150. Going to a 300 ultra for my personal rifle next. Hoping to shoot the 225 hornady eld at 3050 to 3100 with a 28" proof using a wyatts 3.850 box. Running the numbers drop and drift are virtually identical out to 2000, but the 225 wins on energy big time. With the new bullets coming out, large capacity .308s are beating the 7s and 338s to hunting distances fairly easily.

Are you as excited as I am about the new 245 / 30 cal Berger? Even for the non Berger guys this should excite you because others will follow just like the 195 / 284.

It's amazing what we can get out of these things now.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to the 245. My concern is that my proof is a 9.4 twist so I likely won't be able to run the 245 at my elevation of 5500 feet. I think the new 230 sierra match king took the wind out of the sails for the 245. Hopefully they sharpen it up to around .850 G1 or higher and it will blow everything else away.

As has been mentioned by several in this thread the Rum and 28 are very equal in almost all aspects. The only reason the 300 Rum is falling in popularity is due to its age since development. We seem to alway jump on new fresh ideas. I've shot them both and as has been mention can't go wrong with neither. I will second the recoil issue on the rum. Mine is custom build @ only 9 lbs with scope complete and I do dread shooting it but having taken numerous trophies the recoil never came to mind when I fire the round. You'll be pleased with either!

IMO if recoil is not a problem go with the RUM. They are both great calibers and neither would let you down but the difference, at least right now seems to be the price of the brass. The price on 28 Nosler Brass is super expensive if you plan to shoot the gun on a regular bases. I shot a 300 RUM for years and the recoil never bothered me. I did see mention on here about adding a break which is a great idea for the bench but they are incredibly hard on your ears in the field and on your hunting buddies.

The price of Nosler brass is my biggest issue for the 28. ADG sells 100 pieces of .300 rum for $150 where Nosler is closer to $270.

I own a 28, next big Rifle will most likely be a 300 RUM.

If the 300 RUM was introduced today it would be the hottest thing out. Much like the 30-06 , 300 Win , 300 WSM etc before it time is its enemy.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.