28 nosler, vapor trailing?

Backcountrydreamer1996

I've had a hankering for a long time for a 28 nosler so I finally made a dream come true and went out and bought a seekins havak (it does have the seekins brake). I finally got her all dressed up with a leupold lrp and loaded up some adg brass from 78-81.5 h1000 shooting 169 hammer hunters looking for pressures and breaking in the barrel (the hammers do require a 1-8.5 and the Havak is a 1-8.6 but there was no key holing?)
While shooting my father noticed you could literally see a spiraled trail all the way too 100 yards but it was at the blink of an eye. I shot two of each loadings at .5 grain increments and managed to get this still frame picture of what im talking about in a video that is attached.
So what is causing this?
Sorry bout the ignorance just never had this happen before with any other Rifle before.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 184B564D-8A65-4BB3-8A4D-217C955338CF.png
    184B564D-8A65-4BB3-8A4D-217C955338CF.png
    706.8 KB · Views: 1,000
Hammer bullets have oil left in them from the lathe when they are made. There can be quite a bit of oil in the hollowpoint and when you fire a round off, what you see is all that oil being blown out and leaving a more noticeable vapor trail. It has happened to me with the hammer hunters. If you don't believe it, take a few bullets and tap them over and over on a surface and watch the oil come out.

Hammer bullets have oil left in them from the lathe when they are made. There can be quite a bit of oil in the hollowpoint and when you fire a round off, what you see is all that oil being blown out and leaving a more noticeable vapor trail. It has happened to me with the hammer hunters. If you don't believe it, take a few bullets and tap them over and over on a surface and watch the oil come out.
Very interesting! I wouldnt have thought of that.

You'll hear from someone in the hammer camp that shoots 4000 FPS 300wsms or 3600 FPS 280 ai soon.

The oil residue in the hollow point cavity seems most likely to me. I highly doubt a 1:8.6 at 28 Nosler speeds is shredding them.

That is unless you're shooting that 169 Hammer at 4000 FPS? Honestly wouldn't surprise me given the Hammer camps most recent "data"

Best of luck, sweet rifle, awesome t shirt

have you noticed any accuracy issues due to it or is it a thing you just make sure to get it out?

You'll hear from someone in the hammer camp that shoots 4000 FPS 300wsms or 3600 FPS 280 ai soon.

The oil residue in the hollow point cavity seems most likely to me. I highly doubt a 1:8.6 at 28 Nosler speeds is shredding them.

That is unless you're shooting that 169 Hammer at 4000 FPS? Honestly wouldn't surprise me given the Hammer camps most recent "data"

Best of luck, sweet rifle, awesome t shirt
No I was worried cause the bullet requires a 1-8.5 when my gun is only 1-8.6

I didn't notice any accuracy issues. They are very well made bullets. I just couldn't get the BC out of them that I was looking for. For my rifle, I had to lower the BC quite a bit.

I am not a hammer bullet basher at all. They are very well made bullets. Just not the bullet for me and that's ok.

I would personally tap the oil out somehow or another though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.