28 Nosler reloaders, looking for some schooling (26, 30, 33 Nosler welcomed as well)

Bigeclipse

I am not new to reloading, but I have read some accuracy challenges and such with the Nosler cartridges. Not sure if that is because of design or the ultra high speed they are. I am just looking for any advice or tips (if there are any). I am not going for the ultra top end speed. I am hoping for 7mm rem mag speeds or a bit faster. Why did I get the 28 Nosler then you may ask? I love reloading and I love weird calibers AND I found a very nice deal on a very nice rifle in 28 Nosler haha. My goals are a deer and elk cartridge out to 700 yards. Thanks!

Last edited:
I own a 28 Nosler, if you want to get the longest barrel life out of it, I would suggest using H1000 powder with the 168 or 180 Berger bullets, if you want to push it to the limit, if you can find N570 use it, if no N570 use RL33 it is a very accurate and High Energy powder as well, but not temp stable. Another area you need to watch is the brass, do not oversize them, just bump the shoulders back .002, anneal your cases and you should be good. If you do not anneal and oversize them, you will get the dreaded donut in the shoulder neck junction. Good luck and have fun.

Always load your rifle to full potential, especially a magnum. You want to shoot stuff out to 700 yards, you should load it to to full potential. The best powder out there is N570 for heavies like the 195, I also like N565 for 168-180s. Retumbo is also very good, the 1-8 twist makes it a 195 rifle all day, but also 180s would shoot very well too. Don't look past the 175 EH, it's a very good bullet. I would load the 195 between 3000-3100, there is a sweet spot there.

Always load your rifle to full potential, especially a magnum. You want to shoot stuff out to 700 yards, you should load it to to full potential. The best powder out there is N570 for heavies like the 195, I also like N565 for 168-180s. Retumbo is also very good, the 1-8 twist makes it a 195 rifle all day, but also 180s would shoot very well too. Don't look past the 175 EH, it's a very good bullet. I would load the 195 between 3000-3100, there is a sweet spot there.
I should have stated all my at home hunting is 400 yards and in. The reason I got this rifle is if/when I finally go on my elk hunt I was told to expect 500 yard shots, so I stated 700 as a fail safe. I was hoping to get about 3000fps with a 160-180 grain bullet.

I should have stated all my at home hunting is 400 yards and in. The reason I got this rifle is if/when I finally go on my elk hunt I was told to expect 500 yard shots, so I stated 700 as a fail safe. I was hoping to get about 3000fps with a 160-180 grain bullet.

You will hit that speed easily with those bullet weights using H1000 or Retumbo, those will save your throat, the high energy powders like 570 and RL33 will speed that process. I have found Retumbo to be accurate in 180s, the 195s I used RL33 and it is very accurate and I was running them at 3040 fps. The throat on mine after 250 rounds has eroded a little, about 1/16". Since you opened this up as not looking for top speed is the reason I mentioned using H1000 and Retumbo for your loads. They are accurate, I would suggest finding the seating depth first for which ever bullet you decide at the lowest powder charge. Once you find the most accurate seating depth that repeats in two loads, then I would work on powder charge, find the most accurate with the least amount of ES and SD and if it repeats, I would settle on that charge. Keep in mind, with this over bore Magnum, your barrel life will be shorter than a 7mm Rem Mag.

You will hit that speed easily with those bullet weights using H1000 or Retumbo, those will save your throat, the high energy powders like 570 and RL33 will speed that process. I have found Retumbo to be accurate in 180s, the 195s I used RL33 and it is very accurate and I was running them at 3040 fps. The throat on mine after 250 rounds has eroded a little, about 1/16". Since you opened this up as not looking for top speed is the reason I mentioned using H1000 and Retumbo for your loads. They are accurate, I would suggest finding the seating depth first for which ever bullet you decide at the lowest powder charge. Once you find the most accurate seating depth that repeats in two loads, then I would work on powder charge, find the most accurate with the least amount of ES and SD and if it repeats, I would settle on that charge. Keep in mind, with this over bore Magnum, your barrel life will be shorter than a 7mm Rem Mag.
Yes I know barrel life is like 800 rounds or so. This will be a dedicated hunting rifle. After I find a load, I doubt it will see more than 5-10 rounds a year unless my scope goes out or I need to work up a new load.

Last edited:
I love my 28 Nosler. For me I have been sticking to 175 to 180 grain bullets from Hornady Nosler and Berger. Velocities are high and groups are small.

Although I love H1000, I don't believe it's the best powder for 28 Nosler. High pressure is reached too soon without gaining the velocity benefit over 7 Mag. My experience has been better with Retumbo and Reloader 33. Velocities are between 3150 and 3182 with 175 and 180 gr bullets. Others may push it faster, but I found good accuracy nodes in those areas.

I recently got some N570 but haven't done any load work with it. I'm looking forward to those load development sessions.

I think you're going to love your 28 Nosler. Just don't turn it into a 7 Mag by limiting its velocity capability with too fast of a burning powder. That's not to say the 7 Mag isn't a great cartridge. I have one as well and love it too. Enjoy your new rifle.

I love my 28 Nosler. For me I have been sticking to 175 to 180 grain bullets from Hornady Nosler and Berger. Velocities are high and groups are small.

Although I love H1000, I don't believe it's the best powder for 28 Nosler. High pressure is reached too soon without gaining the velocity benefit over 7 Mag. My experience has been better with Retumbo and Reloader 33. Velocities are between 3150 and 3182 with 175 and 180 gr bullets. Others may push it faster, but I found good accuracy nodes in those areas.

I recently got some N570 but haven't done any load work with it. I'm looking forward to those load development sessions.

I think you're going to love your 28 Nosler. Just don't turn it into a 7 Mag by limiting its velocity capability with too fast of a burning powder. That's not to say the 7 Mag isn't a great cartridge. I have one as well and love it too. Enjoy your new rifle.
Exactly. Pressure comes up before velocity is reached, in this size case with H1000, 7RM is a better option. I'm using Ramshot LRT, with excellent results. Early testing shows it to be temperature stable. The best thing about it though, is it's availability!

Exactly. Pressure comes up before velocity is reached, in this size case with H1000, 7RM is a better option. I'm using Ramshot LRT, with excellent results. Early testing shows it to be temperature stable. The best thing about it though, is it's availability!
I'm very interested in what you find with Ramshot LRT. I know we have to be careful on load sharing but with a new powder I always like to get some kind of starting point and what others have experienced with regards to capability and nodes.

Something thing I didn't share was that I did try IMR 8133 in the 28 Nosler. This powder is wonderful in the 7 Mag. Again High velocities small groups. But my initial testing on the 28 Nosler I couldn't get close to the same velocities as with retumbo or reloader 33. I intend to go back and retest it since it did so well in the 7 Mag.

BoatTail. I'l give Ramshot' and my data, it's up to you, for what you do with it?! Missing some shot data, because my chrono mount slipped on those shots. I'm going to re-test all theses loadings to verify velocity/pressure.

1590693373241.png

1590693411301.png

1590693466118.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.