28 nosler rebarrel to 30-28 nosler?

BClrh

My 28n barrel is toast at under 600 rounds so I am thinking of rebarreling to a 30-28n.

I have 100 pieces of unfired 28n Bertram brass and 28n redding type s fl sizing die and competition seating die.

I have seen that a couple guys on here have went that route and I have picked up some info on the process but just wanting to make sure I know what I am getting into.

What would I need to do to my dies to get them to work and would I need a reamer made or could a 28n reamer be used then the throat cut for 30 cal?

Any advice would be helpful

I have two of them. You can have your sizing for opened up for 30 cal. Sizing die I would get a 30 Nosler die. I would get a reamer made. Doughnuts will be around. Make sure you have some good freebore. I would make a dummy round and mail it off. Keep in mind Bertram is thinner than Nosler.

A custom finish reamer made for your project would be best, but, a 28 Nosler could be used to ream to headspace and then a neck reamer could be used to open the neck of the chamber so that it would except a 28 Nosler case that has been necked-up to .30 caliber. My personal opinion, you would be miles ahead to sell the brass and dies you have and buy a .30 caliber barrel blank and chamber it to .30 Nosler. You are trying real hard to get to .30 caliber the hard way with little to nothing to be gained in performance (and the expensive way if you have to buy a custom finish reamer)!

There is a good node around 3100 FPS with 215 Berger. The extra 4-5 grains case capacity of the 28 Nosler case helps allow me to use H1000 instead of N570 of RL33

I have two of them. You can have your sizing for opened up for 30 cal. Sizing die I would get a 30 Nosler die. I would get a reamer made. Doughnuts will be around. Make sure you have some good freebore. I would make a dummy round and mail it off. Keep in mind Bertram is thinner than Nosler.
Rhovee, did you mean I should get a 30n seating die? Also are you finding that donuts are forming just since you necked up to 30 cal or were they forming when you were at 7mm. Do you happen to know what your coal is to the lands with your 30-28n

3.7 COAL with 215 Berger. Yes there is doughnuts forming. I am really close to the doughnut area with my seating depth. Both 30/28 Nosler's that i have had like .030 and .035 jump. You could go .020-.030 longer on the Freebore. Right now that pressure ring of the bullet and the doughnut are .010 from each other. The 30 Nosler seating die works good. The only difference from a 30 Nosler to a 28 Nosler is .051 more head space which is easily made up for in a seating die.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.