28 nosler pressure and fouling

Badgerclaw

I recently received my 28" 8 twist, 28 nosler remage barrel from X-Caliber, awesome fit and finish, took 12 weeks to get it, but I have to say that a far as I can see from inspecting it, it's about the most perfect barrel a guy could ask for. Problem is, I've tried retumbo and h50bmg, wlrm, rem 9 1/2, and F215 primers, with 180 Eld-M bullets. 2 ladder tests and about every combo of those primer and powder combos you can think of, and I'm getting high pressure and terible copper fouling even at loads far bellow the max book loads. Before anybody mentions brass, it's not an issue. I've used new brass and twice-fired brass, and I understand headspacing off the shoulder. X-Caliber dosnt list 28 nosler as one of their chamber options at the time I ordered so they had to buy a reamer and as far as I know this is the first 28 nosler they have chambered. I'm thinking my freebore is soo tight around the bullet that it's building pressure before the bullet even contacts the lands. Is there any way to fix this without sending the barrel back? Or has anybody experienced the same thing with 28 nosler? I just got done fighting with Carbonsix for a year after getting two of the most horrible barrels I've ever seen and I'm very reluctant to send a barrel back for replacement.... what do I do?

Some barrels are just tighter and faster than others.
What are your charge weights?
What velocities are you getting?
Try a different bullet?
Try RL33?
Try a LR (non-mag) primer?

I've tried 76.5-80 gr Retumbo, 87.5- 89 gr h50bmg, I move up in .5 gr increments on both powders. I've tried a load with h1000, just a batch of three. I've tried seating the bullets everywhere from .005 off lands to .060 off. ALL loads had extractor marks and stiff bolt lift. Velocity wise I'm getting everything from 3080- 3205. I shouldnt have pressure with a 180 gr at 3080..... I wouldn't think? I haven't tried non magnum primers because I've heard of them not igniting the powder in cold weather. Cold weather is also the reason I'm not trying rl33.

Last edited:
I should clarify a bit more I guess.... I've heard of standard large rifle primers not igniting (big, overbore, magnum, cases with compressed or almost compressed loads) with slow burning powders

What velocities are you getting?
I assume Nosler brass? I have found Nosler to be fairly soft with their heads in most cartridges, and show extractor marks earlier than most other brass.

Sorry guys I tried to edit my first reply but it didn't save iguess. I've got 3080 up to 3205. Pressure even at 3080

I've only loaded RL33 in mine, but never got any pressure signs until 3275 fps with the 180 ELD. Never had any hard bolt lift. Current load is 86.0 grains for 3185 fps, .040" off.

This is a target from Ryan Pierce borrowed from his website:
400 YD group from a 28 nosler I built a customer
400-yd-group.jpg

He thinks very highly of the 28 Nosler. I suggest calling him for a little tet-d'-tet regarding your problem.

http://www.piercisionrifles.com/

Regards.

I have heard a lot Ryan Pierce. Seams like he's mentioned in almost every forum that says "28 nosler". Maybe that is my best bet. Might have him recommend a reamer. Thanks for the advice everyone

The reamer that Ryan uses, along with Axisworks in Tempe, AZ, is a special cut reamer designed by Ryan Pierce and Eric Goss. Specifically for the 195 Berger.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.