28 nosler or 7RUM ?

djpowell308

Ok, I want to build a long range hunting rifle in a 7mm. I want to be able to shoot out to 800 plus for anything from deer to elk. I am having a hard time deciding between the 7RUM and 28 nosler. Please don't say get a .30 cal. I have several of those now.Please tell me pros and cons for each. Thank you all!

IMO, 29 Nosler is superior. I think it's a bit more sensitive to load but when you get the load right it offers phenomenal accuracy. The slow burning powders seem to work best and that means you get a greater quantity of powder than the fast burning powders and less empty space in the case the better.
Downside - I don't think it offers any better barrel life than the 7RUM. But barrels are pretty cheap.

The 28 Nosler will be easier to make a repeater in a standard length action.

The 7RUM really needs a long mag box to run as a repeater. Like a Wyatt centerfeed mag box or similar.

Neither !! I'll sacrifice 100-200 fps for the ability to buy brass now and especially in the future...it's getting worse on this site constantly with people darn near begging for brass or searching for months... Not worth it to me, I don't need any more crazy.7mm rem mag !!

Not sure if anyone else noticed the marketing game Nosler is playing in their new manual. They list all the new Nosler cartridges with the new powders but failed to provide load data for the STW and Rum with RL33. Typical marketing.

Not sure if anyone else noticed the marketing game Nosler is playing in their new manual. They list all the new Nosler cartridges with the new powders but failed to provide load data for the STW and Rum with RL33. Typical marketing.

I'm not really liking rl33 in my 7stw barrels (both old and new) or my 7rum anyway... I'll use rl33 in my 300rum, but I usually gravitate to rl25, rl50, and retumbo in the big 7mm's... Likely just my barrels but something I've noticed.

I also was considering the gunwerks 7lrm until I realized I had to sale my soul to the for components. A friend said just get the 7RUM and load it light if you want 28 nosler or 7 stw performance? Y'all agree?

I have noticed and was disappointed with them when they started with the 280 AI.

I have always been a fan of Nosler and wished they had handled there new cartridges differently
instead of making everything proprietary where you have to buy there brass and ammo and don't have good load data.

Normally the powder manufactures try to make there powder look best in any cartridge and the bullet makers do the same. The ammo makers are now doing the same thing, using proprietary
powders that we cant get and velocities that are very hard to achieve, All of this is understandable but it makes coming up with a good load very hard)

I try to avoid any proprietary cartridges if I can and go with tried and true cartridges. There will always be a faster and better cartridges that each of us have to wade through and decide on what we want/need. Brass will be a consideration in the future if we don't look for some alternative (Build something that you can use other cases to fire form or re size to what you have). you would be surprised how many cases that have been around for a long time and are not scarce that can be used for some popular cartridges.

Both of your choices will have problems because of available ammo and brass. fortunately there are many other 7mm's to chose from that will perform with the 28 Nosler but few that will match the 7 RUM velocities except wildcats.

Unfortunately it is not easy to pick a cartridge any more and a lot of thought must be put into choosing.

J E CUSTOM

Nosler also purposely failed to include the 300 Norma Mag simply because it blows the 30 Nosler away, but they did include the anemic 338-06 wanna be magnum but no 338 Norma Mag because they probably will do a 33 Nosler next and those pesky Norma Mags make the Noslers pointless ...

Brass issues aside. I don't see any point in getting the fastest car on the lot and then not running it out. So if you want the 7 RUM run her out. The extra few hundred ft/sec are fun. It suddenly increases you point blank range by another 100 yards. With the right bullet combo you will have a 450-500 yard pbr hunting rifle that will hit moa of deer with out consideration of drops. If you are not going to fill the case then get the Nosler. If you think you may hold the 28 Nosler back then get the 7mag. My opinion is that the different cartridges are best used to their potential. I am not saying run them as hard as possible, just run them.

Steve

Based on your selection of very high power 7mm and if brass availability and/or price is important, IIWM, I'd go with 7RM, 7/300WM or 7/300Wby.

but

I never go easy. I go with what I want.

so

IMO the 7 RUM is to much of a good thing. A bit like a 22/50BMG, LOL

Since I have a 28 Nosler and I really like it,. of course I would recommend it.

28 Nosler: It's worth the wait for brass
7mm/300 Weatherby: That's me. I like Wby's. The factory is just down the road from home.
7mm/300 WM: I drew it up for someone. I like it.
7mm STW: Great! Really not my thing but it will achieve your goals.
7mm/300 Ackley: An AI treatment of the 300Wby necked to 7mm

There is no end of high end 7mm's you can choose or make.

I made a 28" barrel 7STW. Later I had that rifle rechambered to 7RUM. It gained 25 feet per second. I also did a 28" 7-.300 Wea. The barrel on it lasted longer than the other. I ran IMR7828@85 grains. The velocity with 150 Noslers was 3,525 feet per second. If I was going to do a big 7mm that is the one I would do again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.