28 Nosler or 300 norma improved

Paladin300

Hey Guys, Still considering a new long range build/rebarrel. Was wondering your thoughts on these two. Hoping you can sell me on one verses the other and your experiences with them. Is one more advantageous than the other. I was considering a 375/338 AI but have started leaning towards the 28 nosler but would have to change my bolt face. The 300 norma improved or 7mm norma improved would use the same bolt. The rifle is presently a 30-378 Weatherby. Looking for something that will accomplish similar results but more efficiently. Thoughts?

I don't own the 30 Norma Improved, but do own the 28 Nosler. I personally do not think you could go wrong with either one. I would suggest you contact Ryan Pierce, he has built quite a few of both, the 30 NI is probably going to be the rifle you will end up building.

My opinion:
I own, and have loaded for a bunch of 28Ns. I run mine conservatively with a 195 @ 3084 for my hunting load. I have run the 195 as fast as 3175, or a 184 @ 3200+. I expect barrel life in mine will be about 700-800 rounds. I have seen barrels be toast in as little as 500 rounds. They are an awesome hunting round for elk sized game and down. Just don't shoot them a lot, and they will last a lifetime.

I have loaded for 4 .300NMIs now. Always with 230 Berger Hybs. Have seen them go as high as 3100fps, but accuracy nodes seem to be at 3000-3040. Brass life is good with Lapua. Barrel life, I have no clue. Haven't seen one shot out yet. Fire forming is a PITA. Usually takes 2 firings to fully form the brass, but after the first, you can start load development. A 245 should be able to reach 3000fps too, but you will have to lean on them harder. Recoil will show up in spades.

That being said, for a LR elk thumper, out to 1000+ yards, flip a coin. Both should crush if you can make the shot. Since you already have the correct action/bolt face, I would go .300NMI personally.

My opinion:
I own, and have loaded for a bunch of 28Ns. I run mine conservatively with a 195 @ 3084 for my hunting load. I have run the 195 as fast as 3175, or a 184 @ 3200+. I expect barrel life in mine will be about 700-800 rounds. I have seen barrels be toast in as little as 500 rounds. They are an awesome hunting round for elk sized game and down. Just don't shoot them a lot, and they will last a lifetime.

I have loaded for 4 .300NMIs now. Always with 230 Berger Hybs. Have seen them go as high as 3100fps, but accuracy nodes seem to be at 3000-3040. Brass life is good with Lapua. Barrel life, I have no clue. Haven't seen one shot out yet. Fire forming is a PITA. Usually takes 2 firings to fully form the brass, but after the first, you can start load development. A 245 should be able to reach 3000fps too, but you will have to lean on them harder. Recoil will show up in spades.

That being said, for a LR elk thumper, out to 1000+ yards, flip a coin. Both should crush if you can make the shot. Since you already have the correct action/bolt face, I would go .300NMI personally.
Thanks Lance for the information. I have a 338 Rum that we are getting great results with and if elk hunting would most likely use it or my 300 WM. This gun could possibly be a back up but is going to primarily be a long range play toy for shots beyond 1000 yards out to possibly 1 to 2 miles. My gunsmith had suggested the Nosler but then I ask about the Norma. He suggested going full length 300-338 Lapua Improved since I was already thinking about 375-338 AI. He already has the reamers for the 300-338 and 28 nosler. I would have to buy the others. The problem with the nosler for me is barrel life and bullet weight and performance at extended ranges. The problem with the 300-338 is I would have to fireform the brass and turn the necks, also I don't know that it does anything any better than the 30-378 I already have. I think you are correct the 300 NMI is the way to go particularly as it relates to efficiency. I don't know that I would loose much over the 300-338 or the 30-378, do you? Fireforming brass does not both me as I have owed other AIs inn the past. It is turning the necks that concerns me on the 300-338. Thoughts?

If it is a fun gun, no way would I build a 28N. .300NMI, run a 230 or 245 @ 2950-3000ish, and go stretch it out. 1.5-2 miles, you need more gun and bullet. Like .375,.416,etc.
My original thoughts were the 375-338 AI. Already shooting the 285 grain Flatline bullets from Warner Tool in my 338. Getting 2850 with 85grs of R23. Have yet to shoot a group that wasn't 1 moa or smaller. Staying supersonic to about 2450. We've stretch it out to 1500 and shoot 1250+ fairly often. Hitting cold bore shots and silhouettes at 1250 almost at nauseum. Wanting to get into shooting beyond a mile or maybe into two mile competitions but really don't have anywhere to do it. Here in Alabama/Tennessee about 2000 yards is max. Been shooting 3x600s and bench rest off and on for about 20 years. Just something new to try and I have the action to do it so, why not??? Thinking the 300 NMI would do the trick for starters but haven't ruled out the 375-338 AI. I am going to have to buy the reamer for either one and both would need to be fire formed. Wanting to push the envelope as far as possible without having to step up to a Cheytac action. That way if I did want to take it to Alaska to hunt I could. Not wanting a 20 pound gun either. Recoil is not a factor so much, as I can't imagine either of them kicking any more sharply than the 378. Thanks for the input.

Take a look at the 37 XC
So I looked at it and I have a couple of concerns over the 375-338 AI. First availability of brass and second how much of an advantage would I actually see. Already a fan of the flatline bullets. Shooting the 285s, 256s and 198s at present. I like Tubb's ideas he thinks like I do. I like practicality, if there is anything practical about shooting 2 miles just because you can. I like the king of 2 mile format because if you can't hit something in a couple of shots it shouldn't count and has little real life application. Want to build a 1 to 2 mile gun in a practical application package. Still leaning toward the 300 NMI or 375-338 AI just because of the availability of brass but I am open to having my mind changed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.