28 Nosler or 30 Nosler

LRShooter7mm

Hello everyone,
I am getting a custom rifle built here next month & I am stuck between the 30 Nosler or the 28 Nosler. I was originally going to go with the 28 Nosler but after thinking for a bit I was wondering if I should look at the 30 Nosler & keep to a 30 caliber. Anyone have any opinions on either one of the two mentioned calibers. Right now I am converting my Rem 700 300 win mag to either one of the 2 choices. So I have lots of bullet options to reload for both I was planning on the 180 bergers for the 28 Nosler & the 190 Bergers for the 30 Nosler since that's what I am running in my 300 win right now. I will be running a 28 inch barrel for whatever one I choose. If anyone has any advice or any experience with either of them that would be great thank you a lot. Main purpose for the rifle is for long range shooting & hunting out to 1000 yards nothing beyond 1000 yards for hunting. If I go past 1000 yards it would just to shoot steel.

Both look great to me. I'm waiting for a 32 Nosler :rolleyes:

The 28 should have similar performance as a 7mm STW, I think.
So the 30 should be comparable to a 300 Weatherby, I suppose.

I don't think you could go wrong either way ! Might, might be a little more choices in bullet weights for .30 cal but not that much these days. Having zero experience with either personally when it comes to hunting nothing beats.30 cal holes when hunting, 7mm might be a tad easier on the shoulder for multiple shot target shooting or steel banging ., Sorta similar to 7mm rmag vs 300 wmag..this could go on forever between the two ...

Thanks for the opinions. I always wanted to try the 7mm STW so if the 28 Nosler offers that kind of performance then that would be great! The 30 Nosler is like a last minute choice before I take my gun down to be built and was just wondering what the pros & cons are of both mentioned. I think if anything I will probably just go with my original thought and go with the 28 Nosler. Then later on down the road buy another 300 win mag. I also have a 30-06 for close shots if I wanted to use a 30 cal.

Go with a fast twist barrel in either one. Go at least 8" twist with the 7mm and at least 9" twist in the 30. This will give you more versatility in the bullet selection.

Steve

Go with a fast twist barrel in either one. Go at least 8" twist with the 7mm and at least 9" twist in the 30. This will give you more versatility in the bullet selection.

Steve

Thanks, that was what I was thinking, with the 28 nosler I was going to go with the 1:8 twist, the 30 nosler I thought about 1:10 but 1:9 I could do. What bullets would the 9 run that the 10 wouldn't in the 30 cal? Just curious.

Thanks Edd didn't know that. I am at 2000 ft usually hunting around 20C to 0C but would practice throughout the summer which is usually around 25C to 30C.

My thought is that unless you move up to higher BC bullets, the 195/215/230 Bergers, instead of sticking with the 180/190 Bergers, you won't gain much with either Nosler over 300 WM. Even the 300WM is considerably better with the 215 Berger vs 190 Berger. Changing bullets will add as much if not more than changing cartridge.

My thought is that unless you move up to higher BC bullets, the 195/215/230 Bergers, instead of sticking with the 180/190 Bergers, you won't gain much with either Nosler over 300 WM. Even the 300WM is considerably better with the 215 Berger vs 190 Berger. Changing bullets will add as much if not more than changing cartridge.

I have a 7mm Rem mag shooting 168 berger bullets at 2935FPS. The only reason I am looking at getting a 28 Nosler is because I've always liked the big 7's (7mm STW mainly) with the 28 nosler I was going to go with a 8 twist and run either 180 berger which I already have or look for 195 EOL bullet and try pushing it to the limits of around 3000+ FPS. The 30 Nosler is just something different and was looking for opinions on. I will more then likely buy another 300 WM but later on to replace this one that I am changing. I still have a few weeks before I take my gun into the gunsmith to decide. This will be my first custom rifle so just wanted a second opinion on the performance. The rifle will be used for hunting moose and elk. I don't have a lot of open areas for long range, so longest shots are about 600 yards max. The new rifle will be more for like reaching out to 1000 yards or more at steel and around 600 or so on animals.

If your pushing 2930+ with a 168, I'm not sure how much more you'd really gain by going to the 28 Nosler, dollars spent how much is 100 fps worth, really ??? Seems like a waste of thousands for a custom rifle built to bench rest tolerances/quality for so little overall gain. You also said your going to hunt out to 600 and what you already have is more than enough for that, just seems like your not going to gain all that much, elk have a kill zone the size of a beach ball and you should have no problem hitting that with what you have already. That being said always go with the fastest twist you can find a barrel in, that way you can always go heavier in bullet weight. Since you already have a 7mm and 300 mags, you might want to change either bigger or smaller, 26 Nosler or the most disrespected great cartridge of all time, 8 mm rem mag, devestator of elk ! Take some time to think it all over, hard earned and saved money should be well spent ....good luck !

Personally I would lean toward the 7mm. The BC and SD is better vs the 30cal so the 30 cal bullets will slow down faster than the 7mm. I am shooting the Berger 195s in my 28nosler and I am VERY pleased with the performance. To get comparable performance in the 30 cal you would have to move up to the 230gr. Whatever Bullet you decide to go with 30 or 28 make sure you throat your rifle to accommodate the larger Bullet. I like seating a dummy round just over the diameter of the bullet into the case and having gunsmith cut throat to match. Good luck!

I also have a 30-06 for close shots if I wanted to use a 30 cal.

I read through the entire post and I realize that you have a few magnums in your arsenal. When put into context of everything you've said, I do understand your statement about the 30-06.

But taken out of context, it is a little humorous keeping the little ol 30-06 for the "close" shots. :D

Just giving you a hard time! I'm sure you'll be happy with either the 28 or 30 Nosler. It is honestly hard to not be seduced into these new sexy cartridges. They are alluring. I want one also... but I'm not real sure why I do.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.