28 Nosler - Ladder Test Results

magedon44

I'm just received my 28 Nosler and shooting Retumbo and the 195s I ran a ladder at 500 yds 80.3-83 gr. It appears there is a nice node at 82.1-82.7 but has anyone ever had these results where your higher charges shoot lower on target ? I shot these over a magneto, just curious if anyone has had similar results .

Attachments

• IMG_4051.JPG
    IMG_4051.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 749
  • IMG_4053.JPG
    IMG_4053.JPG
    907.9 KB · Views: 655
Re: higher charges hitting lower... yes. Your barrel whips (harmonics). That's just where there end of the barrel is pointing in that wiggly process. Massively thick barrels don't do that as much. Your gun's shoot'in good. Also, your one of the few guys here to do a ladder test the way it's intended. Way to many "help me read my ladder test" and it's at 150 yards.

Just by looking at the speeds recorded, you could probably go 81.3 and have a great load. If it shot well, I might be inclined to do a little more testing within that node at .1 grain increments for the least extreme spread. Any of those nodes however, that were close in ES would be worth pursuing.

Last edited:
I like your load velocities from 80.9-81.5 & 82.1-83.0. You've hit a couple of velocity flat spots/nodes. Most of the nodes run 0.4-0.8 gr in powder and yield not much difference in velocity. I'd try loading up those 2 load ranges I listed above, but in 0.2 gr increments. Then pick the lowest velocity spread between those 2 and load up a charge in the middle. Shoot 5 more at that load to see what your ES is. Of course you want single digit ES, but anything 25 or less is good and it will be a very stable load. I'd load 4 more at the same time and see how it groups. If the groups aren't as tight as you'd like, then play a little with seating depth to dial it in. The 6.5 Guys have a great video and write up on doing load development this way. It's the only way I do it now. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike338 is correct and 81.3 ends up being your load
Question? Did you hit any pressure signs at 83.0gr? If not, you may have even a higher node. Once you find max, drop down 1.5 gr and work up from there in 0.2 gr increments like I stated above

Re: higher charges hitting lower... yes. Your barrel whips (harmonics). That's just where there end of the barrel is pointing in that wiggly process. Massively thick barrels don't do that as much. Your gun's shoot'in good. Also, your one of the few guys here to do a ladder test the way it's intended. Way to many "help me read my ladder test" and it's at 150 yards.

Just by looking at the speeds recorded, you could probably go 81.3 and have a great load. If it shot well, I might be inclined to do a little more testing within that node at .1 grain increments for the least extreme spread. Any of those nodes however, that were close in ES would be worth pursuing.
Thanks for the response 81.3 over 82.4 ? I was lookin at the node between 82.1-82.7 and thinking 82.4 would be decent ?

I like your load velocities from 80.9-81.5 & 82.1-83.0. You've hit a couple of velocity flat spots/nodes. Most of the nodes run 0.4-0.8 gr in powder and yield not much difference in velocity. I'd try loading up those 2 load ranges I listed above, but in 0.2 gr increments. Then pick the lowest velocity spread between those 2 and load up a charge in the middle. Shoot 5 more at that load to see what your ES is. Of course you want single digit ES, but anything 25 or less is good and it will be a very stable load. I'd load 4 more at the same time and see how it groups. If the groups aren't as tight as you'd like, then play a little with seating depth to dial it in. The 6.5 Guys have a great video and write up on doing load development this way. It's the only way I do it now. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike338 is correct and 81.3 ends up being your load
Question? Did you hit any pressure signs at 83.0gr? If not, you may have even a higher node. Once you find max, drop down 1.5 gr and work up from there in 0.2 gr increments like I stated above
Slight Ejector marks at 83

My experience is that the high charge of the 3 shots would be the most accurate. Load 4 **** groups starting at the lower powder charge and work up in .2 grains and shoot groups. This will tell you which ones are best. Color the groups with sharpies and shoot at some white paper or cardboard. Shoot a group and let it cool. Even if the 3k node is slower, if it's more accurate roll with it. I have smoked half a barrel tying to make faster rounds shoot better because the next guy says it does in his. 3050 was very accurate in my 28 and many others.

Thanks for the response 81.3 over 82.4 ? I was lookin at the node between 82.1-82.7 and thinking 82.4 would be decent ?

IMO, both nodes are worth looking at and you may be exactly correct. I generally find that my most reliable loads are not my top node. It would be worth the effort to load up 8 or 10 of each and take them out as far as you can go and see how they do. If you can go real far, like 900 or 1000, you don't even need a chronograph. Just try to pick a time that's not to windy. If it's a hunting rig, a stout load in a less than perfect shooting position could wiggle you around a bit so like I said, both nodes are worth looking at.

Just a bug in your ear... I've read a few things about Retumbo being "temperature sensitive" in cold weather. That's more pressure when it gets cold! Weird I know. Your upper node could be a thing in that scenario.

Anyway... you gun shoots and so do you so your on the right track.

Faster loads hitting lower on paper at distance with ladders is very common. My advise is switch powders. The best load will come from ladders that climb/stop/climb/stop.
Thanks Alex , my only options are Retumbo and RL33 . I was a bit hesitat to run the 33 . Have you tested in in dif temps ?

Has anybody tried the new IMR 8133 in the 28 or 30 noslers I wished I could find some locally to try. If your not a RL33 fan then 8133 may be an option if you can find it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts