28 nosler- extreme pressure with 1x fired brass

I read .015 and thought he must have moved the decimal over, he means .0015
You don't want to bump .015, that is way too much.

I read .015 and thought he must have moved the decimal over, he means .0015
You don't want to bump .015, that is way too much.

Thanks....you are right. 15 thousands is what I bumped........as a trouble shooting step....my goal was to imitate virgin brass with the once fired. It is not something that I was do long term

I've gotten some other good feedback that I will look into. Thank you all.

I am considering lengthen my freebore so I can reduce the amount of projectile that I have into the brass. I know that will help.

The brass resized really hard...required LOTS of lube and considerable pressure on the Rock Chucker handle. ...although measurements on the fired and resized brass both seemed in line.
Is this a characteristic of 28 nosler brass??

I use a redding Type S FL bushing die. I have a 7 RUM, a 7 rem mag and a 300 win mag (that I use Nosler brass)....they do not seem to require the same effort to resize.

I am surprised that your headspace is that long. On my 28 it was .004 difference on brass and my 30/28 is .00015. The reason your brass is so hard to resize, is your trying to size the case web when you are bumping .015

Last edited:
I am surprised that your headspace is that long. On my 28 it was .004 difference on brass and my 30/28 is .00015. The reason your brass is so hard to resize, is your trying to size the case web when you are bumping .015

The .015 was a guess... based on previous experience when I had virgin brass to compare against fired brass....don't remember which caliber that was. I was trying to duplicate virgin brass and I didn't have any to measure. When I looked at the "Cartridge" specs I pulled off of the Sammi website nothing seemed to jive.....especially when I compared it to the "chamber" specs and I was even more confused when I compared those numbers to what my caliper was telling me on my fired brass on my Hornady Lock and Load headspace gauge ...so I guessed.

The 107 pieces of 1x that I originally only bumped back .002 was really difficult. Is the case wall on "nosler" 28 nosler brass thicker than some of the other calibers I mentioned? The difficulty came about 1/2 way down on the brass not at the very end of the stroke...which was actually pretty?

I spec my Nosler reamers a little different due to the Redding S-die not sizing the base enough. Usually the problem is the opposite, not enough sizing. Take before and after measurements at the shoulder and just above the extractor groove. I normally see the s-die squeeze the shoulder .003" and the base .0005"

I spec my Nosler reamers a little different due to the Redding S-die not sizing the base enough. Usually the problem is the opposite, not enough sizing. Take before and after measurements at the shoulder and just above the extractor groove. I normally see the s-die squeeze the shoulder .003" and the base .0005"
thanks Alex
Good info

28 nosler , Sammi spec chamber, 26 inch 8.5 twist proof barrel. Clean barrel

I did some preliminary load development while fire forming 105 new (annealed) nosler brass. I hit pressure at about 78.5 grains of retumbo, ..... 3070 fps with the 195 bergers. Shot good groups at 77.8gr (3030 fps)

FL sized brass, bumped shoulder back .002 (.0015) neck tension. Loaded 13 rounds at .1 grain intervals. 77.0 to 78.2 (same can of retumbo, same package of fed 215 primers).

First shot at 77.0 gr showed A LOT of pressure. Thought that was odd.
Loaded a round at 76 grains still a lot of pressure
Loaded a round at 75 grains still some pressure sign
Loaded a round at 74.5….still pressure……..2930 fps

HELP!

I picked up a 28 Nosler this spring and have been doing load development for it. I found a load of 77.6 grains of H1000 with 175 grain Nosler Accubond Long Range bullets that shot .3-.4 MOA at 100 yards. Would hit high pressure signs at 78 grains. Loaded these up again several times and have not been able to duplicate the accuracy and also pressure signs started showing up at lower charge levels. Been pulling my hair out trying to find what happened as I had kept everything in the loads identical. First thought was barrel fouling, but thorough cleanings didn't help.

Did you also see a decrease in accuracy when you got the pressure signs showing up at previously OK levels? And what was you ultimate solution to this?

I picked up a 28 Nosler this spring and have been doing load development for it. I found a load of 77.6 grains of H1000 with 175 grain Nosler Accubond Long Range bullets that shot .3-.4 MOA at 100 yards. Would hit high pressure signs at 78 grains. Loaded these up again several times and have not been able to duplicate the accuracy and also pressure signs started showing up at lower charge levels.
If the brass was new when you did the load workup it had more room to expand, now on your next firings it is fire formed to your chamber and not expanding as much which will act like a higher charge and give you the pressure signs you are seeing. If you chrono the loads I'm pretty sure the velocity will be higher. Decrease the load back to the original velocity of the 77.6 grain velocity. Also "high pressure" at 78 grains doesn't leave a whole lot room, are we talking starting to flatten primers or all the signs like cratered primers, extractor marks, sticky bolt lift, etc ??
Retumbo, and N570(if you can find it) are also great powders for this cartridge.
Your barrel should also pick up speed at 50-100 rounds so keep an eye on the velocity as you go.

Here's what Bartlein Barrels had to say about the 28 Nosler..It's not a glowing recommendation! It put me off I think I'll go to a 300PRC instead?
profile_mask2.png

[email protected]
Mon, Oct 29, 9:19 AM

to me
cleardot.gif

Hey Carl,
For the gain, i would keep it under an inch, something like a 1-8.5 to 1-8.0 or 1-8.75 to 1-8.0
I don't see a need to go any faster, Berger always rounds down to the next full twist rate.
The other thing I was going to cover is to be careful with loads. The 28 Nosler is a great hunting round, but
has a very short barrel life. Also the throat "can" become rough enough after 80 to 120 rounds that pressures
can jump a bunch, what was a safe load, can now be excessive, you'll need to keep an eye on it and keep
the barrel clean and free of carbon build up.
With normal hunting use, a few to confirm scope settings are good and then a few at game, it can last
a lifetime, but if this is something you want to shoot a lot---order a 6 pak of barrels.
cleardot.gif

I just scoped the barrel on one of my 28's last week and can attest that the 28's wear fairly fast. I have 450 rounds on this barrel and it will probably go another 400-450 before needing a fresh chamber.
One thing that I have noticed is a definite increase in pressure with carbon build up.

We are talking about hard carbon in the throat that needs to be polished out with an abrasive like Isso, not the normal carbon further down the barrel that a solvent will remove ??

Here's what Bartlein Barrels had to say about the 28 Nosler..It's not a glowing recommendation! It put me off I think I'll go to a 300PRC instead?
profile_mask2.png

[email protected]
Mon, Oct 29, 9:19 AM

I can open the image you attached....nor can I find what your talking about on the bartlein website......would be interested in seeing their eval

any other way to post it?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.