28 Nosler bullet recommendations

Ltsheets

So when I get back from Africa in July, I'll be starting to develop a load for my MRC 28 Nosler. The 1-9.5 twist I know limits me from the 195 VLD unfortunately. I have some RL26 and was thinking of trying the 180VLD first. Any other thoughts?

With a 9.5 twist I would try the VLD or Elite Hunter. Most good bullets recommend an 8 twist.

Yeah this is one of my only frustrations with this rifle is the barrel twist. The 180 vld still seems like a great option though. Just trying to see what others come up with.

With a 9.5 twist I would try the VLD or Elite Hunter. Most good bullets recommend an 8 twist.

While many of the heavier bullets recommend a fast twist like 1/8, because of the 28 Nosler's speed you will see that they will still stabilize the heavier bullets. Anything 180+. Shoot some of the heavier bullets an see how the preform.

Speed does not play a large role in bullet stability. If I were you I would ty to do load development at the range you intend to shoot preferably a ladder. You will be more likely to see any stability issues. Most likely you'll be fine with accuracy but suffer some bc loss.

I am not a Ballistiction but it is interesting that that you say it does not play a factor because Berger lists it as one of the primary factors.

I have a 28 Nosler, my barrel is a 1:8 twist though, I can tell you RL33 and Retumbo are very accurate, shooting a .590 group at 200 yards with the bullet .020 from the lands with a Berger 180 hunting VLD bullet. I have not had the opportunity to try RL26, so I cannot comment on a load using that powder, but majority of people I know and hear about have the same comments and results using RL33 as the most accurate powder in this Cartridge. If you look at Nosler load data online, they even mention RL33 was one of the most accurate powder they used.

I loaded a 7 RUM 9.25 twist with 180 hybrids at 3100 fps. No stability issues at all . I'd be willing to bet a 28 could get a little more speed and handle the 180's with a 9.5 twist. Try them out, if they don't work for you I'll buy whatever bullets are leftover.

I also have a Bartlien 5R 8 twist blank on the shelf if you really want to go that route.

I loaded a 7 RUM 9.25 twist with 180 hybrids at 3100 fps. No stability issues at all . I'd be willing to bet a 28 could get a little more speed and handle the 180's with a 9.5 twist. Try them out, if they don't work for you I'll buy whatever bullets are leftover.

I also have a Bartlien 5R 8 twist blank on the shelf if you really want to go that route.

I load one of my 7mm STW's with a 9.25" twist with the Berger 180 Hybrids over 3K, and I also don't seem to have any issues. And I hunt and shoot under 1,000' ASL...Usually around 500'-600'.

Thank you for the offer on the barrel but this one only has about 120 or so down the pipe and even after africa practice will still be under 200. I'll work up a load and hunt with it as is for several years before rebarreling. I've heard the MRC barrels are actually very good so I don't want to waste it and the break that fits it.

I have loaded for both the 7RUM and the 28N and the 7RUM will out run the 28N all day long. You just have to use the right powder for 7RUM's case size.