28 Nosler brass too tight after shooting

Detour

Got a quick question. I purchased a box of 28 Nosler factory nosler 160 AB and a box of Hornady 162 ELD-x factory loaded ammo. I broke the new Fierce Edge in using this ammo. Yesterday I loaded a few hand loads using New Nosler brass. Today I noticed a bullet would drop into the factory loaded brass with no effort. The way I'm used to. The Nosler brass from the hand loads was too tight. You couldn't push a new bullet in by hand. None of the brass has been resized yet. This is just after they been shot. Question is do I need to worry about the new nosler brass? Will it produce accurate round?

Are you saying the new brass you couldn't push a bullet in it when the brass is fresh out of the box or after you shot it?

Got a quick question. I purchased a box of 28 Nosler factory nosler 160 AB and a box of Hornady 162 ELD-x factory loaded ammo. I broke the new Fierce Edge in using this ammo. Yesterday I loaded a few hand loads using New Nosler brass. Today I noticed a bullet would drop into the factory loaded brass with no effort. The way I'm used to. The Nosler brass from the hand loads was too tight. You couldn't push a new bullet in by hand. None of the brass has been resized yet. This is just after they been shot. Question is do I need to worry about the new nosler brass? Will it produce accurate round?
sounds like you will be neck turning

Did you trim the new cases before reloading them?

Debur the inside of the case mouth and see if the bullet fits in the neck.

When you loaded these cases what type die did you size them with?

Whats the neck measurement on a loaded round from each of the case lots (factory ammo vs cases purchased as w component) Be sure to use the same model bullet in each case.

Sounds like a combination of thick brass, tight chamber and brass spring back. I bet turning the necks will give the case more room to expand and release the bullet during ignition.

Once they're fired you need to resize them or the bullet will not stay in the brass...it'll most likely fall down into the case. You'll need to also check the case length and trim, chamfer and de burr, clean out the primer pocket etc. In my experience after firing and full length resizing the first time is when I get the most case length expansion and if you don't trim it you'd often have to force it into the throat to close the bolt...and obviously that's a no go . Even if the brass is new, I resize it anyway check the case length and trim it if needed. I have had to treat new brass on several occasions.

Having experienced this myself many times several things come to mind:
1. Neck thickness difference between both brands of cases. This is especially important in a "tight necked" chamber. Check with a ball mic.
2. Length of fired brass. Carbon sometimes builds fast at the case mouth area. If the Nosler brass is even just a few thousandths longer, the carbon combined with "springback" in the neck area sometimes will "crimp" just the very mouth of the case. After firing a bullet will not want to slide in at because the very front edge of the case mouth is tight. If chamfering the case mouth of a fired case allows the bullet to fit, then take a look at possible carbon.
3. Related to above, if the cases mouths had been previously trimmed and inside/outside chamfered incompletely it may have left a thousandth or two on the inside and/or outside.

Most often carbon in the chamber has been the biggest culprit. Often you can actual see marking/discoloration on the case neck edge. An examination with a bore cam will often show a matching "carbon pattern" in the chamber.

Checking "bullet fit" in fired cases, like the OP did, is always my first check when inspecting before any other reloading process.

Hope you nail down the culprit,
Randy

Having experienced this myself many times several things come to mind:
1. Neck thickness difference between both brands of cases. This is especially important in a "tight necked" chamber. Check with a ball mic.
2. Length of fired brass. Carbon sometimes builds fast at the case mouth area. If the Nosler brass is even just a few thousandths longer, the carbon combined with "springback" in the neck area sometimes will "crimp" just the very mouth of the case. After firing a bullet will not want to slide in at because the very front edge of the case mouth is tight. If chamfering the case mouth of a fired case allows the bullet to fit, then take a look at possible carbon.
3. Related to above, if the cases mouths had been previously trimmed and inside/outside chamfered incompletely it may have left a thousandth or two on the inside and/or outside.

Most often carbon in the chamber has been the biggest culprit. Often you can actual see marking/discoloration on the case neck edge. An examination with a bore cam will often show a matching "carbon pattern" in the chamber.

Checking "bullet fit" in fired cases, like the OP did, is always my first check when inspecting before any other reloading process.

Hope you nail down the culprit,
Randy

Randy, great answer, much more useful and tailored to the problem at hand than my 80K foot level answer. Well done.

I have no idea why you would try to put a bullet in a spent case... but... it makes no difference. Resize the brass, then check size/fit. If it fits/chambers smoothly. Loaded one up and check it in the chamber. It should be good to go. Once fired bass rarely needs to be trimmed or messed with!

Are you having trouble with cartridge entering chamber or the bullet into neck of case?

Went back and read original post again. So a fired nosler brass case will not allow a bullet to slide in neck prior to being resized. And the factory loaded ammo cases do allow a bullet to slide in the neck after being fired but prior to resizing. I read in another thread on here that nosler brass and factory loaded nosler ammo do not use the same brass, different volumes, so maybe just thicker brass than the loaded ammo is supplied with. Measure neck wall thickness? Were your loads beginning loads and thus low pressure? Lack of expansion maybe but just enough to send the bullet and the brass just shrunk back?

Last edited:
No pressure signs. Upon further measurement I feel my run of brass is just a little big for my chamber. Neck turning tool will be ordered on Monday.

THANK YOU EVERYONE, I do appreciate everyone's help.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts