28 nosler barrel?

Backcountry_IDN

Narrowed down my next build to a 28.

Curious on what short barrel length I could get away with in everyone's opinion? I will run a can MOST of the time.

Looking to make a pack rifle.

From the search it looks like everyone's going with a 26/28 inch barrel.

Thanks

My 28 Nos is a 26" 1:8". I get 3084fps w. a moderate load of IMR8133.
I can't see going shorter than 24" for a 28 Nosler. I have 4 other 26" barreled suppressed rifles. While long, they are fine for western hunting.

If it's going to be a pack rifle , I want a total barrel of no more than 26 inch or so, maybe you can deal with more. My western hunting often involves alaska- like alder and yew brush. YMMV.

So I'd lop the barrel at 20" if the silencer manufacturer is ok with it. Mine is ok with a 20 inch 300 win mag class round. A short 28 nosler is still wayyyy faster than a short 7 saum or likewise. People start screaming about short barrels being inefficient but ever see what guys shoot out of specialty pistols? 300 rum and such from 15-18" barrels. Efficiency is whatever helps you get the job done best.

For a cartridge as large and burning as much powder as the 28 Nosler, I would do a 26" barrel at least. You could probably get away with a 24" since you're running a can, but I really like to see 26" barrels on magnums. Others have successfully used shorter barrels, but for me 26" is the sweet spot. Just my thoughts.

I have a 22" 28 Sherman and run the 184 Berger at 3005fps, and I'm satisfied. I went with the shorter barrel for the same reasons the OP is considering...

I know this is a year old, but I'm building an 18" 28 nosler on a lone peak razor Ti. Running a nomad dead air suppressor with e brake. Action should show up any day, and I'm doing paperwork for the can next week. Hopefully I can launch 175-180 grainers at 3000fps. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I know this is a year old, but I'm building an 18" 28 nosler on a lone peak razor Ti. Running a nomad dead air suppressor with e brake. Action should show up any day, and I'm doing paperwork for the can next week. Hopefully I can launch 175-180 grainers at 3000fps. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
This otta be interesting 🤔. I like inefficient, short barreled magnums with cans. Still kill so far away.

This otta be interesting 🤔. I like inefficient, short barreled magnums with cans. Still kill so far away.
I've got a 30" 300 rum, so why not do the total opposite of that build. Haha. I'm excited. I still need to decide between a chassis or a composite/carbon stock. I want this gun as versatile as possible. I want to be able to throw it up fast and have it be comfortable in still hunting situations and yet be able to touch something out there at 6-800 yards if needs be. I saw a guy do a 16" pistol 28 nosler and he was getting 2867fps out of the 180's using retumbo, and a couple other guys were 2800 ish with 195's and 18" barrels. Inefficient for the round, but short, light, and handy will be nice.

I run a stock Savage/Proof 24" with VX6 3-18 (8.5lb with brake/sling) and get all the velocity/accuracy I need. Runs barely under my 7STW 26" for velocity.

I run a stock Savage/Proof 24" with VX6 3-18 (8.5lb with brake/sling) and get all the velocity/accuracy I need. Runs barely under my 7STW 26" for velocity.
I've got a 26" 30 nosler carbon six on a savage 110 with a vx3i that is a tack driver. Just shot 2 yotes at 958 and 962 last week. I just want more guns. Ha. Always aquire, never sell. This build, with the Ti action, vx5 scope, and light stock or chassis, should make for a nice backpacking gun for my frank church back country bear, elk, and deer hunts.