28 nosler barrel?

Backcountry_IDN

Narrowed down my next build to a 28.

Curious on what short barrel length I could get away with in everyone’s opinion? I will run a can MOST of the time.

Looking to make a pack rifle.

From the search it looks like everyone’s going with a 26/28 inch barrel.

Thanks

lancetkenyon

My 28 Nos is a 26" 1:8". I get 3084fps w. a moderate load of IMR8133.
I can't see going shorter than 24" for a 28 Nosler. I have 4 other 26" barreled suppressed rifles. While long, they are fine for western hunting.

Montucky Roamer

If it's going to be a pack rifle , I want a total barrel of no more than 26 inch or so, maybe you can deal with more. My western hunting often involves alaska- like alder and yew brush. YMMV.

So I'd lop the barrel at 20" if the silencer manufacturer is ok with it. Mine is ok with a 20 inch 300 win mag class round. A short 28 nosler is still wayyyy faster than a short 7 saum or likewise. People start screaming about short barrels being inefficient but ever see what guys shoot out of specialty pistols? 300 rum and such from 15-18" barrels. Efficiency is whatever helps you get the job done best.

Jud96

For a cartridge as large and burning as much powder as the 28 Nosler, I would do a 26” barrel at least. You could probably get away with a 24” since you’re running a can, but I really like to see 26” barrels on magnums. Others have successfully used shorter barrels, but for me 26” is the sweet spot. Just my thoughts.

bota

I have a 22" 28 Sherman and run the 184 Berger at 3005fps, and I'm satisfied. I went with the shorter barrel for the same reasons the OP is considering...