28 Nosler and barrel life

I own and use most of the big magnums in various bore diameters. 26 Nosler and 6.5-300 Weatherby to name two. I have sighted these rifles in and have taken Deer and Elk with both. I got both in 2016 and to date both have less than 50 rounds fired each. I don't shoot my hunting rifles for varmints so I will never wear a barrel out. I use 223, 22-250, 220 Swift, and 243 for Varmints and the 22-250 and the Swift have both needed new barrels around 1500 rounds. Hard for me to believe that people take the magnum rifles to the range and shoot them enough to wear a barrel out.
With load development, verification at range and practice at multiple ranges, it adds up faster than you think.

Thanks for the info. This is sort of what I figured. I have been looking at the 280ai for awhile but just started looking at the 28 the last couple days. Honestly I don't think I'll ever take game at 1000 yds. It's just not in my wheel house. 400 is my max now but want to start practicing for those 500-600 yard shots in the future.....or when I can start buying ammo again
"when I can start buying ammo again" I guess you have not heard the results of the last presidential and senatorial elections. You may NEVER be able to buy ammunition again.

And that's why I am learning to roll my own but it isn't really something I'm jumping into blind. Doing my homework before I start loading. But even now you cannot find the materials to reload. I've been stopping by all the big box stores and usually find a couple boxes of ammo here and there. But with the lack of available ammo it has really cut down on my range time

What is recoil like on the 28? Is it similar to a 7mm / 300wm? I have a 300wm without a break but it's a heavy gun. Also had a 7mm mountain rifle w/o a break and I never had a problem with recoil.

What is recoil like on the 28? Is it similar to a 7mm / 300wm? I have a 300wm without a break but it's a heavy gun. Also had a 7mm mountain rifle w/o a break and I never had a problem with recoil.
In the field, do-able but still harsh!! Use a brake. I shoot 195 EOL at full power, with a 15# rifle and a Severe Duty brake. Recoil like an AR.

In the field, do-able but still harsh!! Use a brake. I shoot 195 EOL at full power, with a 15# rifle and a Severe Duty brake. Recoil like an AR.

Recoil is all in your mind. That is, except for the part that hits you in the shoulder and neck. That part hurts for real and a brake is good for reducing that pain. Just do not forget ear protection. The pain in your ears never completely goes away.

The severe duty brake in the link states for .243 to .338, how would it work for multiple calibers? I thought brakes were caliber specific.

The severe duty brake in the link states for .243 to .338, how would it work for multiple calibers? I thought brakes were caliber specific.
Because it's bored for a 338 so anything smaller will fit in the hole. That's how brakes are, and suppressors. You can shoot anything smaller through it, it just might not be quite as effective but it'll still reduce recoil (or noise for the suppressor) more than not having it.

I
Mine weighs 8lb and I'm shooting 160 at 3350. It's stout and you know it's a big gun that will let you know when it goes bang. If I was not going to be shooting more than 500yds or so I would take the brake off in a second. I notice I am much more accurate at long range with less recoil so run the brake. I ran a 9lb 300RUM with max loads for years with no brake so maybe I'm not super recoil sensitive.