28 Nosler and 300 RUM. Dead Horse I’m sure

shooters

I'm sure it's been beat to death....with the recent 28 Nosler I purchased having issues and being sent back, I have the option of getting a new one, or going back to the 300 RUM that I'm use to. Ammo availability is not an issue. I have all components for both. I'm familiar with the 300 RUM. Been my go to for everything. The 28 just seemed interesting and something new to try....but I'm more concerned about barrel longevity and relaible knockdown power at extended ranges. The 30 cals are proven, but I've spent zero time with anything 7mm. I'm realize anything standing there with both calibers hit correctly will die, but performance wise, are we splitting hairs? I'm just not familiar or sold on the 28 Nosler being as effective as the 300 RUM. I have another big Alaskan moose hunt coming up and so not want any regrets on my choice of caliber. Thanks.

To me it almost sounds like you want the RUM...tried the 28 to have something new but realized the grass isn't always greener. Confidence is huge...sounds like the rum will give you your confidence back.

A big seven will never be a 30. What bullets were you shooting in your RUM? I would pick a bullet weight you prefer to shoot and shoot it in the smallest caliber available. 180s? get a seven. 210s or 215s or bigger get a 30. I agree with The Oregonian it sounds like you have already made up your mind.

Last edited:
A big seven will never be a 30. What bullets were you shooting in your RUM? I would pick a bullet wight you prefer to shoot and shoot it in the smallest caliber available. 180s? get a seven. 210s or 215s or bigger get a 30. I agree with The Oregonian it sounds like you have already made up your mind.

Always shot the 200 Accubond from the RUM, and was going to shoot the 195 Bergers out of the 28

Always shot the 200 Accubond from the RUM, and was going to shoot the 195 Bergers out of the 28
I personally wouldn't shoot 195s in a 9 twist SAAMI chambered rifle. I also don't think the RUM really shines until you get to 215s or 230s.

There is no replacement for displacement. That said bullet choice will be the key to either of the cartridges you are comparing. Wrong bullet in either one will give less than desired on game results. There is a lot of push out there to use the heaviest bullets for the given caliber. IMO this is often to the detriment of the cartridge and the actual style of hunting that the rifle owner has. The biggest heaviest highest bc bullets will always win the long range race at some point down range. Often this is well past 1000y before they show any advantage over lighter faster bullets.

The 28 Nosler is a great cartridge along with the RUM. There is very little if anything that the 28 will beat the RUM at, other than a bit less recoil. How the rifle is set up with optics and total weight would probably make more diff to me than actually comparing ballistic ability.

Steve

There is no replacement for displacement. That said bullet choice will be the key to either of the cartridges you are comparing. Wrong bullet in either one will give less than desired on game results. There is a lot of push out there to use the heaviest bullets for the given caliber. IMO this is often to the detriment of the cartridge and the actual style of hunting that the rifle owner has. The biggest heaviest highest bc bullets will always win the long range race at some point down range. Often this is well past 1000y before they show any advantage over lighter faster bullets.

The 28 Nosler is a great cartridge along with the RUM. There is very little if anything that the 28 will beat the RUM at, other than a bit less recoil. How the rifle is set up with optics and total weight would probably make more diff to me than actually comparing ballistic ability.

Steve

Thanks Steve. That pretty much solidified my decision. The gun will not be used for anything less than elk and we usually do a moose hunt every year. Including this year. Thanks guys. I'll order the 300 and sell the new 28 when it shows up tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.