28 Nosler Alaskan Moose

I second all of the above suggestions to use a stout non fragmenting bullet on a moose...ESPECIALLY if there is any possibility of a shot under 200 YDS.....this pic is a 165 pound whitetail deer that I hit with a 195 Berger from my 28 Nosler....The bullet didn't even get through the chest cavity of a smallish whitetail so I would doubt its performance on a moose with a high impact velocity. It just blew apart and the penetration was minimal on a behind the shoulder double lung shot. I'm gonna try the hammers next season because where I hunt my shots can range from very close to very far.....View attachment 162623

That makes me want to throw up. Unfortunately I've seen worse from the bergers including a 338 Lupua that blew a basketball sized hole out on the pass through.

The Berger's are great people who have done tremendous things for the industry but when it comes to critters I won't shoot their bullets at anything other than varmints and predators.

That makes me want to throw up. Unfortunately I've seen worse from the bergers including a 338 Lupua that blew a basketball sized hole out on the pass through.

The Berger's are great people who have done tremendous things for the industry but when it comes to critters I won't shoot their bullets at anything other than varmints and predators.
Why is a basketball sized exit bad? Maybe I'm misreading

Never shot a moose, but a big bunch of elk and seen results from several hundred more through 38 years of guiding in CO. Berger HVLD's and Hornady ELDM's are my go-to target and varmint bullets. Shot 4 elk with Berger's. 140 gr HVLD. Two were hundred yard broadside shots that utterly destroyed the chest cavity contents. One was a little forward into the front of the shoulder. Never saw that cow again. A marginal shot at best but I've often wondered if a stouter bullet would have made a difference. 180 gr HVLD. The best performance from a Berger, IMO, was a 1098 yard bull. Broadside shot with good expansion and penetration to the off side hide. Like the cup and core bullets we used 40 years ago the thin jacket bullets tear up way too much meat, bloodshot like the whitetail photo and frequently less penetration to suit me. I want to kill my game and not ruin half the meat in the process.

Has anyone tried your 28 Nosler on Alaska moose? Goods /bad and thoughts on bullet selection. Have a 2022 hunt and haven't had the opportunity to bag anything with mine yet.
Shot a Shire Moose here in Utah with my 28 using the 175 Nosler Partition 401 yards went all the way through. Moose took a couple of steps and nose dived

Dang you'd think that hunting season was over or something...ask a very easy question to field (it's a darn lob...) and some have to take it 3x around the barn backwards...

The 28 is plenty of gun period! Use a decent bullet, put in a decent place and that darn thing will go to Croak City Wyo right now!

Someone just has to throw in the what if you get hit by a meteor aka a big bad bear decides to come to the dinner bell.. well like the one fella said while anything can happen he sure wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

To the comment that a gun going off is like a dinner bell, it'd be fun to arrange a bet and go try out that good deal theory. I'd say go to G-Bear or Brown Bear country, and fire 100 rounds at different times and see how many times that big bad booboo shows up to kick you butt.........I'd say the bet is $100 for each shot.

Lastly, killing just isn't rocket freaking science. I know of more than a few moose taken out via a 22/250 and or Swift. No not shots to the beaner, shots behind the front and life ends. Period end of story, take out the lungs and things die...

Next thing we know a side discussion will break out trying to figure out if one should carry a G20 or a big wheel gun just in case..........right

End of rant:)

Shot a Shire Moose here in Utah with my 28 using the 175 Nosler Partition 401 yards went all the way through. Moose took a couple of steps and nose dived
This kind of performance is my preference on big game. That said I'm having a .300 WSM built for a long range elk rifle and throated specifically for the 215 Berger hybrid. This will be used for cross canyon shots on a property I manage. Ranges will start at around 600 yds.

This kind of performance is my preference on big game. That said I'm having a .300 WSM built for a long range elk rifle and throated specifically for the 215 Berger hybrid. This will be used for cross canyon shots on a property I manage. Ranges will start at around 600 yds.
For distance farther than about 500 yards I use the 180 vlds, they have tacken elk at 975 to 1030. In fact 3 in the same herd 3 different shooters. Late season cow tags

You'll be fine with the 28 up here. Moose aren't that hard to put down. I hunt almost exclusively with Barnes bullets up here. Most places that you're going to be for moose you're as likely to have a 50yd or under shot as you are a shot over 250yds. The barnes seem to stay together well at all distances and they penetrate well if you need to deal with a bear. A good friend of mine shoots everything bigger than a fox with a 300rum loaded with 180gr barnes. He's never had an issue with them even on his 37yd moose lol.

What part of AK is your hunt planned for?

The 6.5x55 Swede has taken untold thousands of moose.

It makes sense, therefore, a 28 Nosler would be marginal at best or, more likely, totally inadequate. ;)
28 would be great with the 175 Nosler Partitions. Definitely hunt any thing in North America.

I would not hesitate to take any north american big game with my 28 nos and hammer bullets. If someone thinks you need more for say alaskan brown bear, moose, anything, please, sponsor me on that hunt and ill take plenty of photos to prove it. 😁

My crewman took this bull in 2018 with 2 shots from a .223, distance was 150 yards and the bull went towards the river about 50 yards and tipped over. 71 inches. He broke his leg when he was trying to get it in his boat.

Attachments

• IMG_20210225_214314.jpg
    IMG_20210225_214314.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 103
On my last hunt moose hunt (AK, 2018) my guide said the farthest he had seen a moose shot was 428 yards; gun was a 28 Nosler shooting a 195 Berger. Dropped like a rock.

I have shot five moose in Alaska, BC, and the Yukon but never with anything less than a .338 WM. If I hunted them again, I would bring either a 300 RUM, an Edge, or a .338 WM. Ironically, of the five I have killed, two were over 300 yards; my average shot on elk is less than my average shot on moose.

The 28 nosler is a beast of a 7mm round and will handle a moose without a problem. Just use the right bullet

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.