28 Nosler advice needed

I found it odd that the best group of the listed test loads had the worse ES and second worst SD. All I've read is get the ES/SD right and the gun will shoot. That hasn't been my experience with my 300WM or 7STW and now the 28 is proving that theory to not hold water. While the group with the best ES/SD isn't a poor group it finish 3rd place.

Sorry forgot to add, these are 28 Nosler cases. I may have to find some 26 Nosler and build them to 28s because I cannot find 28s anywhere, everything is back order
Try Bertram Brass. They have a FB page and website is bertrambrass.com. I bought some a month ago and weighed the unprepped brass. It comes out 20 grains lighter than Nosler. It was fairly consistent weight wise considering it's unprepped. Nosler had told me several months ago that they expected to have brass back on shelves early September so maybe we will get lucky next couple weeks.

Try Bertram Brass. They have a FB page and website is bertrambrass.com. I bought some a month ago and weighed the unprepped brass. It comes out 20 grains lighter than Nosler. It was fairly consistent weight wise considering it's unprepped. Nosler had told me several months ago that they expected to have brass back on shelves early September so maybe we will get lucky next couple weeks.
I like Bertram, I purchased 250 cases about two years ago for my 7 STW when you couldn't find any. Its good brass, not as shiny and purdy and is harder than Chinese arithmetic but holds up good, and as you mentioned weighs out as good as any on the market. It does make the old Frankford Arsenal case trimmer squeal like a pig stuck under the gate.

Sorry forgot to add, these are 28 Nosler cases. I may have to find some 26 Nosler and build them to 28s because I cannot find 28s anywhere, everything is back order
YEAH! Finding 28 Nosler cases is like, trying to find an 8lb keg of H4350 used to be!
26 Nosler just sits there, so I grab a box about every 3rd trip to Sportsman's Warehouse.

Last edited:
YEAH! Finding 28 Nosler cases is like, trying to find and 8lb keg of H4350 used to be!
26 Nosler just sits there, so I grab a box about every 3rd trip to Sportsman's Warehouse.
I gave up on the H4350 in my 6.5 as well and started burning RL17. I hate the hype on anything, just drives me to fond a better way. I guess we create our own problems tho.

I found it odd that the best group of the listed test loads had the worse ES and second worst SD. All I've read is get the ES/SD right and the gun will shoot. That hasn't been my experience with my 300WM or 7STW and now the 28 is proving that theory to not hold water. While the group with the best ES/SD isn't a poor group it finish 3rd place.
I'm doing graph work on an AR 6.5 Grendel, from Saturday, and noticing the same peculiar thing, with good groups and not not the bestest ES/SD's and not so good groups and good ES/SD's WTH?

Berger 215 hybrids will be the next thing I x off my list if they don't start showing up. I purchased 1,000 about 2 years ago when they were impossible to find. I'm down to less than 200 and when they run out if I can't fond 'em on the shelf I'll find something else for my 300 win mags

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.