28 Nosler advice needed

Trig

Hello all,
I have been playing with a .28 Nosler for the last few months and not getting the results i desired.
The gun is built on a Stiller tac 300 action with std palmer barrel 1-8 twist at finished at 27.5"
it is mounted into a Manners T4A stock and has a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 in Nightforce Rings.
I has a min spec chamber with a .313" neck and has .290" freebore.

I have tried many load combinations with the Berger 195gr EOL bullet, the best has been with Retumbo and F215M primers.

The problem i am finding is the gun is coming up on pressure before i can get the velocity i was looking for and would like some people to give there impressions on this situation.

i was testing today
195gr berger .020" off the lands approx 3.75" overall length
with Retumbo @ 200m

71gr 2910 fps .2" only 2 shots warm load but no ejector marks
72gr 2940 fps .81" 3 shots as above warm load but no ejector marks
73gr 2990 fps 1.79" 3 shots warmer and ejector mark on one case
74gr 3014 fps 1.1" 3 shots ejector marks on all cases
75gr 3040 fps .94" 3 shots ejectoe swipe on all cases
76gr 3090 fps 1.83" 3 shots sticky bolt left and ejector swipe on all cases
It was very windy so i am only measuring the vertical spread.

I loaded 4 with 71.5gr and shot them and got a .99" group with .576" vertical at 2930 fps

I a little unhappy that the velocity is so low, anyone else see anything like this?

regards Sam.

Do you have any RL33 or N570? If so, everyone seems to have the best luck with those two. My 28N is very accurate with RL33, I do not have the same Freebore you do, but 84.5 at .20 off the lands, my velocity is averaging 3045fps and very accurate. It does seem like a lot of others accuracy node is hovering around 3040 - 3050 with the 195's when using RL33 or 570.

Like stated above. RL33 or N570 are THE powders to shoot in the 28 Nosler.

Better velocities with slightly less pressure.

I will assume Nosler brass. Nosler brass is soft in the head. Slight ejector marks are common it seems like. Bertram brass is much harder. But pretty uncommon compared to the Nosler brass usage.

I always use CCI BR-2 primers in 28 Noslers. That is what two very reputable gunsmiths have told me that specialize in 28 Noslers and designed a reamer specifically for the 195 EOL. Results have been nothing short of spectacular.

I usually find the node between 3070-3140fps for the 195 EOL with the above component usage. However, charge weights can vary a bit to get to these speeds depending on the barrel itself. I have seen the speeds from as little as 81.0gr to 89.0gr. So start low and work up. I suggest starting around 79.0gr w. RL33. That has worked very well for me.

Thanks for the replys, I live in Australia and there is no RL33 in the country that i can find and even if it is there is no freight company that brings it into my state so a 1800Km retrun trip is required to get some. I have not looked into N570 but that same freight issue applies. I have tried ADI AR2218 and was getting brass flow around 80gr and 3000 FPS.
I will indeed try some Bretram brass as it is manufactured here in Aus.

Regards Sam

Today i did a bit more testing with the 195's and the 71.5gr charge. Using the applied ballistics app it seems to running 2965 fps.
here is 5 shot i put down this arvo at 914 meters
195gr berger + 71.5gr AR2225.jpg

Yeah im happy with it. I only fired one group and was a bit sceptical driving out to the target but was please to see there was a group.
Had .8 mil on for wind but could have done with .7 mil instead.

Sam

RL 33 is a good choice. I've also had great velocities and BC with US869. Low pressure signs and higher velocities than RL33.

Nothing to really add--I have had good luck with RL33 too (in other calibers). I have found better accuracy with 175 grain hunter bullets--I have a 7mm rem mag so not quite enough As@ to push the 195 fast enough...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.