28 Nosler 3rd trip to the range

Engineering101

See attached target using the 180 Bergers with US869. This 5 shot group fired at 200 yards included the clean/cold bore shot. ES isn't stupendous but probably liveable. Brass life ought to be really good as this was one of the slower loads in my ladder test. I had a load at 3,190 fps that was almost as good but I don't figure the elk will know the difference.

Attachments

• 28 Nosler 180 Berger.jpg
    28 Nosler 180 Berger.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 117
That looks pretty impressive. Is this in line with what you saw before? What rifle are you shooting?

That rocks!

I would love to see a string shot on a dirty cold bore.

Boman

The group pictured on the target above is using the same load I used previously that put 3 shots into 0.797" back on 7/16. I was doing a ladder test that day and the load at 89.0 grains was best and the one at 92.0 grains (US869) was second best at 1.625". Those are the two loads of the whole bunch that I took back to the range but this time using 5 shot groups to make sure it wasn't an accident. They did pretty much the same thing again with 89.0 grains being the tightest group and 92.0 grains decent but not as good. The rifle used is the same one I mentioned on the previous post - Sako L61R action with an 8 twist Krieger. Next I'll stretch this load out to 600 yards and see what it does. If nothing strange occurs I will declare it ready for hunting season.

Sorry Engineer I must have missed your original post
Your results are outstanding. Looks like you've got this one buttoned up

Bowman

Yes load development has gone pretty well so far. It occurred to me that some might be interested in an observation or two regards the 28 Nosler so here are a few.

1. This is a power house in a 30-06 length case. I was surprised at how easily it blew past 4,000 ft lbs with no pressure signs. It shoots pretty good there too. Maximum book loads (Nosler #7) for the 7mm RUM top out at 3,890 ft lbs so that right there got my attention. I never did push the 28 to the point I saw pressure signs (maybe later) though I had some loads running 4,086 ft lbs. I figured that they had to be getting near the top but will have to verify that by going up another grain. For some reason I'm not all that worried about doing that any time soon.

2. The case is plenty big - 102.1 grains H2O. There is no need to worry about having to seat the bullet deep to fit in a mag as even then it is a little too empty with most powders. Maybe that is why US869 works well as it fills it better than most.

3. Unlike my 26 Nosler the 28 Nosler is pretty well behaved. The ladder test was nice and orderly. Each step up in quantity of powder got a nice repeatable step up in velocity. My impression is that the 0.284 bore might be the sweet spot for this case. I know when Nosler gets done that there are supposed to be 26, 27, 28, 30, 33, 35 and 36 Noslers so time will tell.

4. I like this rifle. Though I have lots of other choices, it will be going hunting for sure this Fall.

tbrice23

Here you go. It was a 7mm Rem Mag from the factory back in the 1970s. Stick on a Krieger bull sporter, a little epoxy bedding and presto chango, 28 Nosler.

Attachments

• 28 Nosler 1.jpg
    28 Nosler 1.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 110
Thanks bud.
Now I remember seeing it on one of your other posts, sorry.

But more showing off never hurts. Ha ha.:D

Who's brake is that?

tbrice23

I ordered that brake from Sharp Shooter Supply along with a Brux 7mm WSM barrel for a Savage redo. It is a Vias style brake but I don't know if it is a Vias or if Fred (the smith there) made it himself. It is much larger than most Vias brakes so it may be one of Fred's. The 28 is a ***** cat to shoot with that brake. Would not be without it.

I'm drooling for a 28.
I'd like to see if Fred at 4d can chamber and muzzle thread one for a model 111 action.
**** I'll have to pay $3 a piece for Nosler brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.