28 Nosler/30 Nosler/30-26 Nosler Build

Left Hand Dave

If I want to build a 1K hunting rig in either 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler or 30/26 Nosler is a #4 barrel contour at 26-28" to light or should I go with a #5?

What free bore do I need for 175 ELD-X, 180 Berger and 195 Berger bullets if I don't want to be tied to one bullet in the 28 Nosler?

What free bore would I need in the 30s for the Berger 210 and the Berger 215 hybrid.

I need to order a reamer pretty fast if I am going to get this done in time for this hunting season.

Last but not least 30 or 28 is there really any real world difference out to 1K for hunting between the two?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Dave

What's the big deal with those...there all great cartridges but there's tons of great cartridges... It all comes down too 100-200 fps and that's about it for the most part.. Then the unknowns enter the picture, what will the future hold for each of those, is it really worth all the expense and do you really have the real need....good luck, shoot more 6mm's, their cheap and accurate!

Can't beat .308 holes in rib cages !!!!

If I want to build a 1K hunting rig in either 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler or 30/26 Nosler is a #4 barrel contour at 26-28" to light or should I go with a #5?

What free bore do I need for 175 ELD-X, 180 Berger and 195 Berger bullets if I don't want to be tied to one bullet in the 28 Nosler?

What free bore would I need in the 30s for the Berger 210 and the Berger 215 hybrid.

I need to order a reamer pretty fast if I am going to get this done in time for this hunting season.

Last but not least 30 or 28 is there really any real world difference out to 1K for hunting between the two?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Dave

The difference between 28 and the 30 is the BC, before I had my 28 built, I had a hard time figuring which caliber to build, I wanted a 30 caliber in my collection, but I did not like having to load using 210 gr bullet to achieve a BC above .600, with the 28, the BC are much better. Now, my next build will more than likely be a 33 Nosler, they have good BC in the Berger lineup. That is what drove my decision.

What's the big deal with those...there all great cartridges but there's tons of great cartridges... It all comes down too 100-200 fps and that's about it for the most part.. Then the unknowns enter the picture, what will the future hold for each of those, is it really worth all the expense and do you really have the real need....good luck, shoot more 6mm's, their cheap and accurate!

Can't beat .308 holes in rib cages !!!!

Simple, because we can.

No one is building a better mouse trap in firearms by much until we change the technology completely. Like you said fps but fps is fps and once past 700 yards it makes a difference.

The difference between 28 and the 30 is the BC, before I had my 28 built, I had a hard time figuring which caliber to build, I wanted a 30 caliber in my collection, but I did not like having to load using 210 gr bullet to achieve a BC above .600, with the 28, the BC are much better. Now, my next build will more than likely be a 33 Nosler, they have good BC in the Berger lineup. That is what drove my decision.

BC is a big deal. When added to fps, it rules.

If you will be shooting a lot of elk I would go with the 30. The SAAMI chamber is fine for the 215 Bergers in the 30 Nosler. You could talk to Broz about his reamer specs but I am shooting 215s in a CA Ridgeline and and more than pleased with it. With the 215 boatail junction at the neck shoulder junction the bullet is .020 off the lands. My rifle likes the bullets seated .010 off so it is plenty long. I will say that I would rather have a 300Win because of brass availability and the Nosler is not better to the point is is worth the extra money. If elk are not on the table or will be rare I would go with the 28 and I would shoot for somewhere around .280 freebore and an 8 twist barrel to give the most leeway.

I love the Nosler cases. I have built a lot of 28 Noslers. The accuracy and ballistics are excellent. However the .30-28 is very close on ballistics and drives a bigger bullet. I just did one (28 necked up to 30) and its ran 230 Bergers to 3100 fps without pressure in 26". The standard 30 Nosler is very close to this but is a little smaller. Nosler pushed the shoulder back .051" on the 30 case vs the 26/28 case. I haves seen the 195 perform well on 4 elk last year, but have also got some solid reports of blow ups just under the hide. This is the reason to go with a 30 for elk, if you have any doubts of bullet performance with the 195. Personally I have a 28 and am building a straight 30 Nosler to run the 215 with H1000. To me its ideal. Proven bullet, stable powder, and great ballistics.

I would like to thank everyone for the information and their opinions. I know people sometimes get tired of this type of question but we can't all have one of each (although I am trying and that is my goal) so real world info is a great help. Also even after you decide there is always the free bore question. I want to be able to get the build done in time for November so a reamer with the correct free bore will be a must and I may have to rent one. Getting one made seems to take a while.

Thanks for the help
Dave

Thanks to RFURMAN24 I have an idea for free bore on the 28 Nosler. Anyone have any idea what would be needed on a 7mm RM if one was going to shoot 162 - 180 grainers?

Ok this is what I think I am going with any input is appreciated and needed.

I have scoured the LRH site for information for a build I plan. It will most likely be built using a Manners EH1 stock, Remington 700 Long action with magnum bolt face, and I think a #5 Brux/Kriger or #3B Bartline barrel 1-8" twist at 26" They seem to be the same contour. For caliber 7mm RM. There is a rifle build circus going on in my head right now. I plan to use this for mostly long range hunting for deer and antelope. Long range for me at this point is 700-800 yards but as I get better I would like to be able to extend that to 1000 if I feel comfortable. I think high BC bullets from 162 grains to 175 will be my best bet.

Now come the questions:

1. First do the decisions above look good.

2. Any idea what a guy should use for freebore using a stock Remington box and in a Wyatts box. I may go to a Wyatt's.I have noticed the Hornady ELD-X bullets seat much farther in using up more case capacity

3. Any one have a live pilot reamer with the correct specs for the above build including freebore that they are willing to part with.

I would like to get the build done in time for November hunting so I need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
Unless you already have parts it will be tough to get it put together and load development done by then. If you are going to shoot 180s I will suggest a Christensen Arms Ridgeline and a Stocky's long range carbon fiber stock. You could have that in a week. Mine shoots under .5moa and is a dream to shoot. I did install a slayer brake.

I already have the stock and have a line on the action and barrel. The smithing is also taken care of. Where I am mostly stuck is on the reamer and freebore. Although any advise on my overall plan is much appreciated to prevent I shoudas.

Thanks
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts