28 Nosler 2nd Trip To The Range

Engineering101

I made it back to the range yesterday to ladder test the 168 gr LRX and US869. The top of the ladder (93.0 grains) ran 3,310 fps (4,087 ft lbs). There was a little bit if sticky bolt on the last round but the primers (Fed 215s) never showed anything. Don't understand that since they get flat in most of my other rifles when running up around 65,000 psi. I did pop the primers out and the pocket on that last shot was looser than those running 3,280 fps or under so the that seems to be the limit if you want some brass life.

Group size was 1 to 1.5 MOA. I'll be testing seating depths on the next go around. Should be able to get to 0.75 MOA based on what I've seen so far.

Sounds like you have a nice new setup and a nice looking rig there.

That load sounds like a beast, hope you can get it to shoot how you want. What are you plans for this, in game wise?

Also, how is the recoil of that round?

Black67

I do like the rifle. It weighs in at 10.4 pounds and has a moderately effective Vias style brake on it so recoil is about like a 270 Win. In other words no problem. Without the break it would be a bit much for me.

As for game - with the 168 LRX this rifle will kill pretty much anything including moose while keeping meat damage to a minimum. I didn't hit the moose lottery this year so they are not actually on the menu but elk, deer and bear are.

Thanks for sharing. Have you tried RL-33?

I worked up to 86 gr of RL-33 with a 168 Berger classic hunter in my 26" 7mm/375 Ruger with a velocity of 3268 fps. (this is a full length 375 Ruger case necked to 7mm, not the LRM)
Bet you could keep your bullet in the 3300+ fps range.

AZShooter

RL-33 is one of my favorite powders (really amazing in the 300 RUM and 338 Edge)and was the other powder I tried on the first trip to the range. Even though the burn rate is the same as US869 it looked to me like it flattened the primers just a we bit where at the exact same velocity the US869 primers looked like they were brand new. I eventually will go with whichever one has the lowest ES so RL-33 is still in the running. I need to get a reliable reading on seating depth first. I have 8 lbs of both of them so no problem having enough. I also have RL-50, 50 BMG, Retumbo, Magnum, MagPro and H1000 if I really want to use some barrel life. But that will have to wait as I'm heading to Vegas in a few minutes to play in the World Series of Poker Old Timers event. I should get back to the range early next week.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting that 33 flattened primers and US 869 didn't.

If I didn't make my 7/375 Ruger wildcat before the 28 Nosler came out I would have made it instead. Look forward to hearing about your finalized load.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.