28 Nosler 197 grain SMK

quarterman

I went down to my local gun store today and bought a box of Sierra 197 grain match kings. I'm going to shoot them out of my 28 Nosler which has a 1-8 twist barrel. I called Sierra and they said with the tip being closed very tight they weren't sure if the would open up on game animals. So my question is has anyone tried these on and animal yet and how did they perform? I'm going to try testing them on dry newspaper bundles over the next few weeks and see what kind results I get. Spring bears are open where I live now so If they work on news paper then I will take them out bear hunting at the end of the month.

I have not tried the 7mm 197 SMK on game yet. Soon.

I have used the 7mm 183 SMK, .308 210 SMK, 6.5mm 142 SMK, and 6.5mm 150 SMK on game. All have worked amazingly. I plan to shoot the 6mm 110 SMK in my 6CM when it is finished as well.

I went down to my local gun store today and bought a box of Sierra 197 grain match kings. I'm going to shoot them out of my 28 Nosler which has a 1-8 twist barrel. I called Sierra and they said with the tip being closed very tight they weren't sure if the would open up on game animals. So my question is has anyone tried these on and animal yet and how did they perform? I'm going to try testing them on dry newspaper bundles over the next few weeks and see what kind results I get. Spring bears are open where I live now so If they work on news paper then I will take them out bear hunting at the end of the month.

I have done a lot of bullet testing over the years, especially when I was designing my own. I would highly recommend that you use something with a lot more hydraulic action. If you are using newspaper, at least soak them. You can back them up with a few layers of carpet to catch the mostly expired bullet........Rich

I have done a lot of bullet testing over the years, especially when I was designing my own. I would highly recommend that you use something with a lot more hydraulic action. If you are using newspaper, at least soak them. You can back them up with a few layers of carpet to catch the mostly expired bullet........Rich

Thanks for the input Ill soak them first

Hey quarter I just received a couple hundred to try in my 28 as well but I just have very little time right now! If ya don't mind putting up some accuracy reports and loads your liking I'd appreciate it!! I'm really not being lazy I'm just slammed at both jobs right now!! Ha

I've used the smaller SMKs in my 223 and they open up chucks and other small critters pretty good. haven't had an issue without them expanding yet.

Tried them out yesterday, I stopped at 83.5 grains of RE33 and a coal of 3.680", which is .013 off the lands in my rifle, federal 215 primer. Velocity averaged 2964 FPS. Accuracy was .5 MOA. Currently have no pressure signs. Going to tweek it a little more for my next tip to the range in a couple weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts