28 Nosler 195 load data

bigart4280

Hello all, I have a 28 Nosler I shot the 180 vld last year wanted to try the 195 vld I was lucky enough to pick up some ADG brass and some 195 grain Berger and I have 4 pound of N570 I'd like to establish a load with it and get a turret cut. It's a 1:9 twist 26" barrel. Just curious if anyone runs a similar load? And what speed you're getting, I'd love to get 3000 fps out of it if possible. Thx

I think you are going to have to use RL33 to drive the 195 over 3000. In the 2 rifles I've helped develop loads for, that was the only powder that would push them that hard without showing pressure. We were using Nosler brass in both rifles. We tried RL33, N570, and H1000. We found out the hard way that RL33 will show a pressure spike above approximately 85 degrees. In the end, we went back to H1000 and settled for a little less velocity. DMagna is correct in my opinion about roughly where to start. Pay close attention to your brass when you get to 80 grains and up.

I use adg brass will n570 in my 28 nosler. I have a 1-8 twist barrel with a long throated chamber. I reached over 3100 with n570 but backed it down to 3050 with great accuracy. I'm my 1-9 twist I shot rl33 and reached 3150 pretty easy. Problem was the barrel was burned off in 500 rounds.

If you have a load that shoots really well you might not want to shoot anymore than you need. Barrel life is really short.

Is there no data in the berger manual?
I dont even have 28 nosler in my berger manual.
Hello all, I have a 28 Nosler I shot the 180 vld last year wanted to try the 195 vld I was lucky enough to pick up some ADG brass and some 195 grain Berger and I have 4 pound of N570 I'd like to establish a load with it and get a turret cut. It's a 1:9 twist 26" barrel. Just curious if anyone runs a similar load? And what speed you're getting, I'd love to get 3000 fps out of it if possible. Thx
You should be able to get at least close to 3000 fps with the N570, but Berger should give you the whole chart if you call

Depends on how long you can load the 195's, my 28's are over 3.600" to get near the lands and will magazine feed at that length, I saw over 3100 with 570 and RL33 doing pressure tests on both rifles before I started seeing pressure signs. I have not finished the load tests so no real data to present other than where you end up for max charge and speed will have a lot to do with how long you can load the 195's. If you are limited to that 3.34ish saami load your speed will be quite a bit lower than if you can get the bullet out of the case and get the capacity back. If I were doing it again I would find seating depth with a low to mid charge of 570, then do a pressure test, then fine tune. Doing pressure first I wasted probably 20 bullets I didn't need to burn.

78 grains of N570 with 195 EOL in buddies 28 Nosler. about 2960fps. I'd like to push them faster but that's where they are shooting decent. We are stuffing them in the mag also. just don't have the time or components to experiment with higher velocity.

just came across some 197 SMK that we are going to try also.

78 grains of N570 with 195 EOL in buddies 28 Nosler. about 2960fps. I'd like to push them faster but that's where they are shooting decent. We are stuffing them in the mag also. just don't have the time or components to experiment with higher velocity.

just came across some 197 SMK that we are going to try also.
Update us on how they do, I've been wondering how they perform

1:9", while Berger states is "Minimum", it is not "Optimal", like they USED to print on the boxes, which is 1:8".

RL33, N570, Retumbo, and IMR8133 will all get you over 3000fps. Nosler brass, however, is notorious for having soft heads, and will show ejector marks early. ADG is much better, Peterson is good too, but I prefer ADG.

I would start at 79.0gr, and go up to 84.0ish, but make sure you stop when you hit pressure. Try them .020" off the lands.

Exactly. I'm down to about two lbs of it. I've been looking between Dallas and NE Mississippi and haven't seen any. It's on gunbroker though. I may have to pay their unGodly price…but it is a really good powder in the 28 nosler. I run it with the 143 at 3675 fps and the 195 at a cool 3k