28 Nosler 180 Eldm powders, US869 IMR8133

bsaoneshot

I currently have a load for my 28 Nosler, 80 grains Retumbo, CCI250 behind 180 grain ELDMs right at 3100 FPS. I have tried H1000, but didn't get the velocity I wanted before hitting pressure. I am going to try IMR 8133 and possibly US869. Any 28 Nosler shooters have any luck with those powders, loads, or comparisons? I will not shoot Alliant powders and probably will not go to the 195 Bergers.

I have a 28N and started load development using IMR 8133, I have almost gone through a pound of it, the load that was the most accurate so far was using 81.7gr with a CCI 250 primer at .020 off lands, I have not finished this load testing since it was late spring when I started, then TX temps took a turn for the worst in the upper 90's into the 100's a lot through the summer. I used Hodgon min and Max load Data for this powder in a 180 Berger, since they did not have one listed for 180ELD-M. When the temps cool down into the 80's, I will resume. I was in the middle of testing seating depth when I stopped. What I did notice with my pound of powder, after 34 rounds the groups opened up, I cleaned the barrel and had a lot of Carbon according to the patches, it took a good cleaning to clear it up. I will see if that shrinks the groups down when I resume testing. Good luck, I hear some people like the powder very well, so far I am not sure if it any different than Retumbo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts