28 Nosler 168 Vld Load Data

I loaded 5 each at -.005", -.025", -.045", -.065", -.085" with no obvious accuracy signs at 200 yards. Maybe this barrel does not like Retumbo or I need to jump farther like .100" or .120" or something.

Going for RL33 Saturday. Loaded up to 85.3 gr at .015 off. Will update.
I suggest that you start your bullet seating depth testing at .015 OFF THE LANDS. Then work back towards the cartridge case in .005 increments until you find your bullet seating depth accuracy node. If you want to see if you can "tweak" some more accuracy out. Try testing at .002-.003 of either side of the bullet seating depth accuracy node. Any bullet seating depth testing should be done at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Due to a recent change in protocol put into place by Eric we can no longer post or send unpublished load data out. If you need data please contact us at 714-441-7202 from 8am to 4:30pm EASTERN time MON thru FRI and we will be glad to help you.

Bill,
Try our BERGER VLD bullet seating depth testing :http://www.bergerbullets.com/vld-making-shoot/. be sure to use the HUNTING version. And see how bullet seating depth can affect cartridge case powder capacity, pressure, velocity and accuracy here:http://www.bergerbullets.com/effect...coal-and-cartridge-base-to-ogive-cbto-part-1/ and http://www.bergerbullets.com/effect...coal-and-cartridge-base-to-ogive-cbto-part-2/ . Any bullet seating depth testing should be done at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Once the bullet seating depth accuracy node is found. Work the load back up slowly checking for pressure signs and accuracy until your highest velocity accuracy node is found. IF you find that after your bullet seating depth accuracy node is found. Try our 7mm 168gr CLASSIC HUNTER BULLET :
http://www.bergerbullets.com/new-berger-classic-bullets/. The 7mm 168gr VLD and 7mm 168gr CLASSIC HUNTER will use the same load data. In most cases with our Classic Hunter bullets your load development will consist of seating the bullet to the published magazine length (COAL) of the cartridge you are loading for. Then work the load up slowly checking for pressure signs and accuracy until your velocity accuracy node is found. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at any time. Thanks for using our bullets Bill!

Phil, thanks for the info. I tried it with a upper end load 84.4 gr of Retumbo. I'll back it down to where I think there is another node closer to a starting load. It's been hot here lately in midwestern IL.

20171001_195720.jpg
Got out to shoot today.
10mph head wind at 200 yards.
Note, these are HBN plated 168 vld in a 26" barrel. Shot from my hunting bag.
Hope this is repeatable.

With the .28 Nosler, have you considered trying the Berger 180 Hybrids? Or, if you have a 1:8 twist, the Berger 195 Hybrids? The big 7mm magnums really shine with the heavier higher BC bullets.

With the .28 Nosler, have you considered trying the Berger 180 Hybrids? Or, if you have a 1:8 twist, the Berger 195 Hybrids? The big 7mm magnums really shine with the heavier higher BC bullets.
Yes sir, I have.
However, I have about 1,500 168 vld ( don't asko_O).
Just trying break in this barrel and to see if I can get these to shoot.
I'm glad you brought up twist rate. My barrel is a 8.5 twist and was heavily contemplating getting some 175 Elite Hunters ( good for 9 twist, as is 180 vld) and the Hybrid design has ALWAYS been a much easier bullet to dial in.

Hey Mud,
Do you think I'm over spining these 168s ??
1:9 would be optimal for the 168's but I don't think you'll have any issues with a 8.5 twist.

My 2002 Sendero SF 7mm STW has the factory 9.25" twist barrel and I can get the 180 Hybrids to shoot .4" groups all day any day. Sometimes 1 ragged hole if conditions are perfect.

Good to know thanks. I just pulled the trigger on the 175s.

Hope I'm not hijacking Bhobbs78's thread. You got any updates?

Good to know thanks. I just pulled the trigger on the 175s.

Hope I'm not hijacking Bhobbs78's thread. You got any updates?
No you guys aren't hijacking anything. I've got my hands on some 168 classic hunters and found some good luck with them. I'll try an post some photos tomorrow but one load is getting me 1.25" 200yd groups. Don't have my notes in front of me but it's 83gr of Retumbo about .080" off lands. Going to try them out to 300-600 here in the next week or so.

1:9 would be optimal for the 168's but I don't think you'll have any issues with a 8.5 twist.

My 2002 Sendero SF 7mm STW has the factory 9.25" twist barrel and I can get the 180 Hybrids to shoot .4" groups all day any day. Sometimes 1 ragged hole if conditions are perfect.
175 Elite Hunters RL33
Problem solved. 3252 fps ES 7 shot at 200 yds.
20171017_191752.jpg

Well guys sorry for the late response here but I was able to get the 168g Classic hunters to shoot very well out of my sons rifle. He took his first bull at 670yds during the 2nd Colorado rifle season with one well placed shot. I'll try and get a pic uploaded when I can. Special thanks to Phil at Berger for helping me find the right bullet/load for that rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.