28 Gauge Choice

Years ago I bought a Rem 11-48 in 28 gauge, had the full choke punched out and it's been a quail slayer ever since. I do reload, use the same load for birds or targets.

Fit to you should drive your purchase. If a 555 fits you and you like it- that's all that matters. I own a Browning Citori feather lightning 20/28 two barrel set. The 20 ga barrel is actually a little lighter than the 28 because its not a true 28 frame (the 28 barrel has a little more steel than the 20), however it's a sub 6lb shotgun with either barrel. I use the 28 for mountain grouse and sharptail a lot, the 20 for pheasant. I love that set and I shall never part with it.

UblCZ3h.jpg

lll7SAT.jpg

That being said I handled a Rizzini side by side in 28ga recently and man is that a light gun with a lot of beauty to it! Can't stomach the price- but I can see why a true sub-gauge 28 are desired- they are light!!

Last edited:
I had my new pup out for doves on Saturday. She had a good time, other than the car sickness there and back. Gotta work on that. My brothers Pointing Lab is a bird fetching machine. We ended up with 18 birds between us. A fun couple hours in the field.
IMG_3382.jpg
42878.jpeg

As far as "wants", the Ruger Red Label with English stock or Citori Lightning have always been high on my list, just a bit out of budget for me. Both are beautiful shotguns.

I had my new pup out for doves on Saturday. She had a good time, other than the car sickness there and back. Gotta work on that. My brothers Pointing Lab is a bird fetching machine. We ended up with 18 birds between us. A fun couple hours in the field.
View attachment 395246View attachment 395248
Do you kennel her? I had two modes of transportation I used. If we were going for a joy ride no kennel. If we were going to work I would travel her in a kennel. I have never had an issue with a dog being car sick, but it sure made my girl know when we were going hunting and not. She was an entirely different dog when she was kenneled and she did not mind being kenneled. I always kennel trained my dogs and never used the kennel as a form of punishment. Kennel was always a safe place. She is a beautiful girl and I wish you many years of hunting together. I can tell by the picture she has some spunk! Thanks for sharing.

Do you kennel her? I had two modes of transportation I used. If we were going for a joy ride no kennel. If we were going to work I would travel her in a kennel. I have never had an issue with a dog being car sick, but it sure made my girl know when we were going hunting and not. She was an entirely different dog when she was kenneled and she did not mind being kenneled. I always kennel trained my dogs and never used the kennel as a form of punishment. Kennel was always a safe place. She is a beautiful girl and I wish you many years of hunting together. I can tell by the picture she has some spunk! Thanks for sharing.
She sleeps in a kennel at home and travels in one. My vet said it's common for Brittanys and especially younger dogs. She is the first dog I've ever had that gets car sick. He suggested taking her for frequent short trips in the kennel. Nothing very long(the place we hunted was an hour drive...) and build up times/distances as tolerated. She is mental for a scented Dove bumper and Pheasant scented Flippy Flopper so I will take her for a ride before each fetch session. She has been somewhat noise sensitive so I was greatly relieved when she didn't react to the shotgun reports.

She sleeps in a kennel at home and travels in one. My vet said it's common for Brittanys and especially younger dogs. She is the first dog I've ever had that gets car sick. He suggested taking her for frequent short trips in the kennel. Nothing very long(the place we hunted was an hour drive...) and build up times/distances as tolerated. She is mental for a scented Dove bumper and Pheasant scented Flippy Flopper so I will take her for a ride before each fetch session. She has been somewhat noise sensitive so I was greatly relieved when she didn't react to the shotgun reports.
My GSP would look for place to hide in the house if there was gunshots or thunder. She never flinched being shot over hunting. The kennel is a great tool and was always a safe place for my dogs. My last GSP had issues as a young dog with Too Much prey drive. She was a handful to hunt with until she was two, then a switch went off in her and she figured it out. Hunted with her until she was 11yr old and blown ACL left knee took her out of hunting. Tried to see if she would take it easy after the ACL healed. One trip out and she acted like she was a pup and lamed herself up again. Her pointing was morning doves on the lawn! She became a house dog and our companion for the rest of her life till nearly 14 yr in February 2021. I have not replaced her and I now live in Florida. I miss my hunting dog, but don't know if I have the energy or stamina for a pup again.

Greetings. I grew up shooting a 28 gauge single shot and have always had a soft spot for that oddball shell. I'm considering getting an inexpensive 28 gauge for doves and grouse. I have handled the Stevens 555E and like the way it fits and feels. I really like how the 555s are scaled to each gauge, not just a 12ga frame with smaller barrels. I have read some complaints on the 55s trigger being unreasonably heavy and wonder if that was improved in the E model at all. The CZ Drake is another contender in the same price point arena. It just isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the 555 in my eyes. Looking for input from anyone who has had experience with either of these guns in a 28 gauge. Thanks in advance. -Quigley

Stevens 555E - https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=22592

CZ Drake - https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-drake/
Check out a Dickinson Arms. I picked one up a year ago in a 28. Had a weekend with a lot of bird shooting and got a long with it great. Haven't gotten to shoot it much since but I think it is a keeper. It is a lightweight gun but handled good for me. Not a cheap gun but also not an expensive one.

I have a Beretta silver pigeon that I love. That being said the thing that leads me to my Beretta was a friend that insisted I give his CZ a try while we were hunting in South Dakota. I was very impressed by the gun and the gauge. Had the Beretta not been available I would have had no problem owning a CZ.