28 Gauge Choice

Greetings. I grew up shooting a 28 gauge single shot and have always had a soft spot for that oddball shell. I'm considering getting an inexpensive 28 gauge for doves and grouse. I have handled the Stevens 555E and like the way it fits and feels. I really like how the 555s are scaled to each gauge, not just a 12ga frame with smaller barrels. I have read some complaints on the 55s trigger being unreasonably heavy and wonder if that was improved in the E model at all. The CZ Drake is another contender in the same price point arena. It just isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the 555 in my eyes. Looking for input from anyone who has had experience with either of these guns in a 28 gauge. Thanks in advance. -Quigley

Stevens 555E - https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=22592

CZ Drake - https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-drake/
DO NOT BUY THE DRAKE, unfortunately I have purchased 3 in 28 guage now and less than 100 rounds in all 3 guns ,the guns started firing both barrels at the same time.

Brother I am not a fan of aluminum receivers. I have been shotgunning all my life like a lot of folks on this forum, but I have been shooting sporting clays since the early 90's . From the inception. If That's the price point you are trying to stay in, I would recommend looking for something used. Browning, Beretta , some one mentioned the little Ruger Red Label, if you can find one. All steel good long standing record of reliability. the older made in Japan SKB's are excellent as well. I personally would not spend less than $2k on a new o/u. And it would have to have at least 28 " barrels. Also the triggers are probably gonna be a little better as well.

If you want something really lite and don't mind chasing empty hulls, there are a couple of real nice autos that fit the bill as well.
Hope this helps!

J

Brother I am not a fan of aluminum receivers. I have been shotgunning all my life like a lot of folks on this forum, but I have been shooting sporting clays since the early 90's . From the inception. If That's the price point you are trying to stay in, I would recommend looking for something used. Browning, Beretta , some one mentioned the little Ruger Red Label, if you can find one. All steel good long standing record of reliability. the older made in Japan SKB's are excellent as well. I personally would not spend less than $2k on a new o/u. And it would have to have at least 28 " barrels. Also the triggers are probably gonna be a little better as well.

If you want something really lite and don't mind chasing empty hulls, there are a couple of real nice autos that fit the bill as well.
Hope this helps!

J
That was one of the aspects that I was curious about, the longevity of a lightweight aluminum receiver. It will be mostly for doves, so weight isn't a major factor. I'd like to hear if anyone has several thousand rounds through one and how it is holding up.

I've hunted with a 28 exclusively for the past 10 years from dove to late season pheasants with chukar, huns and sharpies between. Started with a Beretta 686 Silver pigeon and ~7 years ago went to a Dickson Arms SXS. Never found the 28 wanting. Just my skills occassionally. Both guns have much to offer and recommend themselves. Obviously I prefer having two different choices of choke and two different shot loads readily available. You may too. Good luck, enjoy the hunt!

I'm not a fan of cheap shotguns, but my youngest son needed a good turkey gun and I thought it would be perfect for him, boy was I wrong when both barrels went off

I've put a fare share of 28 down the pipes of a CZ bobwhite g2. No experience with the drake but I am a big fan of the bobwhite. I've used it 3 years Nebraska kansas Texas dove quail pheasant ducks prairie chicks and sharpies no issues yet

I've hunted with a 28 exclusively for the past 10 years from dove to late season pheasants with chukar, huns and sharpies between. Started with a Beretta 686 Silver pigeon and ~7 years ago went to a Dickson Arms SXS. Never found the 28 wanting. Just my skills occassionally. Both guns have much to offer and recommend themselves. Obviously I prefer having two different choices of choke and two different shot loads readily available. You may too. Good luck, enjoy the hunt!
Unfortunately I've never fired a sxs that I liked or could shoot well. Not sure why, just not my cup of tea.

That was one of the aspects that I was curious about, the longevity of a lightweight aluminum receiver. It will be mostly for doves, so weight isn't a major factor. I'd like to hear if anyone has several thousand rounds through one and how it is holding up.
I have two Browning Feather Lightning shotguns. aluminum alloy receiver with reinforced steel hinge pin. The 20/28 combo and a 12 ga. I bought the 12ga used- so not sure how many the previous owner put through it, but this year alone I have shot trap, 5 stand and sporting clays with it and have put through at least 1,200 rounds through it and not a problem whatsoever. Last year I put through about 500 rounds.

The only issue with the gun is it's almost too light for shooting the sporting clays range where I may shoot the course twice in one day- like over 200 rounds. I may get a Rizzini BR 110 with 32" barrels for range use.

Good article on it- https://www.shootingtimes.com/edito...er-lightning-over-under-shotgun-review/372997

I really, really love those feathers. You start hunting mountain grouse and that weight is just delightful.

We have a fairly green GSP gal that we took out this weekend up the mountain for grouse. Simple goal- get one down and have her mouth it, then see if she'll hunt them. She did both. My wife used my 20ga Feather Lightning

F3z0Npw.jpg

I think you meant "Dickinson". If you did mean "Dickson" then I congratulate you on your good taste. I have a Dickinson, but my dream is a skeletal action Dickinson (or McNaughton).

And.

Hopefully you have found something by now. If not I would also look at the fair. I have one of the iside Tortugas gold in 28ga and love it. I took my first sharptails with it last year in SD.

If your looking at autoloaders I love my 28ga ethos. Beretta recently released an a400 upland in 28ga which I would like to find for my daughter.

Good luck with your search!!

There is only 1–28-gauge shotgun, and that is the Berretta 686 Silver Pidgeon 1 - 2 or 3 with 28" Barrels, I have had mine 23 years and is my upland bird gun every time. Dove to Pheasent you can't go wrong, it is light and easy to carry and gets up quickly. Lots of my hunting buddies stay upset with me all through the hunts, as I always get off 1st and have a very high kill percentage, I am selfish that way!;)

There is only 1–28-gauge shotgun, and that is the Berretta 686 Silver Pidgeon 1 - 2 or 3 with 28" Barrels, I have had mine 23 years and is my upland bird gun every time. Dove to Pheasent you can't go wrong, it is light and easy to carry and gets up quickly. Lots of my hunting buddies stay upset with me all through the hunts, as I always get off 1st and have a very high kill percentage, I am selfish that way!;)
ust got one a 3, its a bit nicer than the citori I have been using but the A400 28 is still the rainy day champ.

Its even better to drop the bird on them after they miss twice!