28 Gauge Choice

Yep, doves would be my primary quarry with the 28. I've found several vendors online who have case quantities of Win AA 28 gauge in stock. Good hulls for reloading.
I use a 28 g in BPS, and love the gun. I hand load all my case. and there are several case available out there. Ballistic has wide choice of cases, and powder pistons. I use the 28 for Dove, Quail, and Pheasant. I just change shot sizes. I have in an 870 in 410, 28, and 12 gauge too. For whatever reason BPS stop making them in 410, 28, 16, and I believer in 10ga.

Where you move to? I'm in Florida to.
Move to Hudson area West Coast close to Gulf. Came to this area for fishing, but finding it becoming very crowded in just the short time we have been here. More than likely to be moving again to north part of Florida in the near future. I really miss upland bird hunting so Georgia may get consideration, but I love the warm weather here.

Sweet !! I got 2000 AC I hunt on , Deer,Turkey is mostly what I hunt. Our son just moved from Hudson. We do a lot of off shore fishing , most of the time in the middle grounds 90 to 100 miles out. We have a fast boat , makes it more doable.

Sweet !! I got 2000 AC I hunt on , Deer,Turkey is mostly what I hunt. Our son just moved from Hudson. We do a lot of off shore fishing , most of the time in the middle grounds 90 to 100 miles out. We have a fast boat , makes it more doable.
I moved here for the snook and redfish in the canals and close to shore fishing. I have always been a fly fisherman most of my life, but I am learning to fish tackle and bait. My career took me out of serious fishing for way too long and I am trying to catch up! I spent a few years chasing Atlantic Salmon through Canada. The first snook I hooked into put a smile on my face, I would absolutely love to hook into a Tarpon. I have a smaller boat (19 ft Bay Boat) but have not been out a lot, yet. I am slowly meeting people that want to fish. Hunting in Florida is as foreign to me as hunting on the moon! I would have no idea where to go. I thought it would be easier to meet people that hunt, but they all seem to keep their hunting to themselves.

Wow, 2000 acres that's a chunk of land!

Give me a call 813 395 2290 Bill we will chat. I'm headed to the woods tomorrow or Monday for 4 or 5 days now hunting , I try to hunt during the week. I had a guide Sev. For a few years for turkey an hogs , but spent more on it than I made. But met a lot of good people. I was shot up in VirtNam pretty bad but , I'm still getting around.

Give me a call 813 395 2290 Bill we will chat. I'm headed to the woods tomorrow or Monday for 4 or 5 days now hunting , I try to hunt during the week. I had a guide Sev. For a few years for turkey an hogs , but spent more on it than I made. But met a lot of good people. I was shot up in VirtNam pretty bad but , I'm still getting around.
Thank you for your service Sir .

I love my 28 gauge Fausti light and fast !! Use it on pheasant until we stock chuckar partridge in. Feb! 6 shot Fiocchi in the black box ! 1300. Fos copper or nickel costed pellets 3/4 oz load Takes them down nicely !

I replied to the wrong message. I will give you a call in a week or so, my name is Dave.

I have the 555 and really like it. My trigger isn't horrible. It's been with for ducks doves chucker quail, phseants and a limit of geese just because we were calling them in tight.

Greetings. I grew up shooting a 28 gauge single shot and have always had a soft spot for that oddball shell. I'm considering getting an inexpensive 28 gauge for doves and grouse. I have handled the Stevens 555E and like the way it fits and feels. I really like how the 555s are scaled to each gauge, not just a 12ga frame with smaller barrels. I have read some complaints on the 55s trigger being unreasonably heavy and wonder if that was improved in the E model at all. The CZ Drake is another contender in the same price point arena. It just isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the 555 in my eyes. Looking for input from anyone who has had experience with either of these guns in a 28 gauge. Thanks in advance. -Quigley

Stevens 555E - https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=22592

CZ Drake - https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-drake/
I am a 28ga advocate. Shoots way above it's weight, sweet swinging. Collect O/Us and SxS, and the 28ga is always a..."I'll take it."

Recent Posts