28 Gauge Choice

Winchester actually made a 1oz factory Double AA 28ga load .It's easily duplicated, on the Mec 600jr , with the correct components. That load will stop a full grown flying wild turkey.

Looking at the image of your Red Label, its buttstock appears to be that of a gun which I could shoot well. My own Ruger O/U was quite a different story, however, and one this forum's readers may find interesting.

Twenty something years ago, after years of competitive skeet shooting, I migrated into shooting sporting clays and decided I needed a new scatter gun for that endeavor. So I ordered a Ruger Woodside 12 Gauge with 30" barrels and discovered when I took delivery thereof that the d&mned thing came with an automatic safety. Jack O'Conner once opined that a break action double gun with an automatic safety was "... an abomination in the face of the Lord." My sentiments exactly! Ruger included a coupon for disabling the auto safety for $15 but that didn't include the cost of shipping and insurance so, being an inherently cheap SOB, I took matters into my own hands. I removed the stock from the action, mounted a fresh 32 TPI blade in my blind hacksaw handle and after about 30 attempts to put teeth to metal finally was able to make myself saw off the extension to the barrel selection link that served no purpose other than to push the safety on whenever the tang lever was rotated to open the action. Whew! Brand new gun and I'm already butchering it. But that was just the beginning of my butchery, i.e. #1.

The next day I was out to the sporting clays range for a 100 bird practice session. I was absolutely smoking all the singles and most of the first birds on doubles (both true and report) but missing a good deal of the second birds on doubles. Soon I noticed that on my second shots the wad was flying a higher trajectory than on the first targets of the pairs. So I finished the round by dismounting and remounting the gun between shots on the doubles targets and was breaking most of the second targets. That was #2 of my Ruger revelations. By the time I finished the 100 targets I had realized that my right hand on the pistol grip was uncomfortably cramped, #3, and I had a painful blood blister of the flesh under the second bone of my trigger finger, #4. The following weekend I was scheduled to shoot in a registered tournament at the same sporting clays facility and really wanted to do so with my new Ruger Woodside. Something needed to be done!!

When I got home from the practice round I compared the Ruger's stock to my Belgian Browning Superposed stock and there was a good 15 to 20 degrees difference in the rake of their recoil pads, i.e. the length of pull from trigger to the top of the pad vs the length of pull from trigger to the bottom of the pad was nearly identical on the Browning but was over an inch longer to the bottom of the pad on the Ruger. All I could figure was that Ruger wanted to give the gun a "racy" look, but they only accomplished in giving it an inability to stay planted on the shooter's shoulder. So I rigged a soft clamping cradle to the Ruger's stock and locked it into my cutoff bandsaw such that it matched the angle of the Browning stock and hacked off the difference. I then replaced the 1/2" Ruger recoil pad with a 1-1/4" thick KICK-EEZ Sorbothane recoil pad to extend the stock's original length of pull to better match my body. Butchery #2 complete.

I then completely stripped all the godawful bowling-pin shiny lacquer off of the stock and forend, rasped more than 1/2" of wood out of the stock's right side flute (behind and above the pistol grip's checkering) until it finally was comfortable for my oversized right hand (depending on the manufacturer's standard I wear a XXL to XXXL sized glove.) But that left the stock looking grossly asymmetrical so I had to deepen the left side of the stock's flute similarly and reshape the forward comb to appropriate shape. Butchery #3 complete.

The problem with the blood blister was a combination of the stock not fitting my right hand and the amount of trigger over travel resulting in a serious trigger finger pinch between the trigger and the trigger guard riser that extends up concentric with the curvature of the trigger. So there was no choice but to take the same blind hacksaw I had used on butchery #1 and saw off the pretty little concentric riser, leaving a trigger guard roomy enough for my oversized trigger finger. Butchery #4 complete.

The rest of that night was spent filing out the roughness left in the trigger guard with a set of jeweler's files, finishing it off with 400 grit wet sandpaper, reblueing the bare metal and hand rubbing the first of many tongue oil coats into the gun's wooden parts. By the weekend the wood had enough protection (3 coats) in case the tournament got caught up in having to shoot during a rainstorm (which didn't happen) but it took me months of hand rubbing the tongue oil before the finish looked even better than the factory original varnish.

The lesson here is that only a lucky few can take a factory gun off the rack and shoot it well. If you're not comfortable butchering a brand new expensive firearm, like I did, for God's sake take it to a good stock maker/gunsmith and get it properly fitted to you. If the gun is truly an expensive one I'd advise removing the factory original walnut, storing it and have a replacement stock built and fitted to your own physique and shooting needs so that no devaluation to your initial investment will be suffered. Even with the matched-weight 20, 28 gauge and .410 bore lightweight Briley sub-gauge tubes and hard case I only have about $3K in my Ruger so I didn't hesitate to butcher it up fresh out of the box. And it still looks just as good as new to the extent that no-one has ever noticed my evil gunsmithing deeds.
Very interesting story, thanks... And yes, it shoots very well, actually one of the best-handing shotguns I've ever owned. Cheers.

I do all my upland hunting for grouse and woodcock with a Benelli Ultra Light in 28 gauge. I can carry it all day long.
I also hunt game farm pheasants, quail and chukars over my GSP with the same gun.

cz is as cheap as you're gonna get a functional 28ga with support if something goes wrong. In my experience if you get a double from Huglu (CZ) and get one of those infamous 8-12lb triggers you can usually get an rma and have them adjusted. Usually to around 6 or 6.5lbs.

lovee some 28ga. Personally if scaled frame was what I was looking at a BR110 would be about as cheap as I went.
my next semi auto will be a 28ga benelli SBE so I don't feel as worried about bad weather and can still enjoy the 28. I know lots of excellent shotgun hunters that use 28ga for pretty much every hunt. Modern ammo is pretty amazing.